X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should warfighters wear blackwatch?

My question before the rabble is though I'm not nor never been a member of 3rd Battalion, Royal Regiment of Scotland (3 Scots), I was a soldier (U.S. Army) and consider their kilt a excellent one for all branches to wear. am I alone in this school of thought?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many consider the Black Watch tartan to be universal, but not all do. Some would say that you should have served as part of the unit to wear the tartan, but not all do.

Since you were in the US Army, you could always get a kilt in the US Army tartan.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black Watch is often considered as a "universal tartan" and worn by those without a clan affiliation, regardless of prior or current military service. It's also associated with the Grant, Munro, and Campbell clans.

Cordially,

David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davedove View Post
    Many consider the Black Watch tartan to be universal, but not all do. Some would say that you should have served as part of the unit to wear the tartan, but not all do.

Since you were in the US Army, you could always get a kilt in the US Army tartan.
    1st one I owned ith:
    check me profile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Black Watch tartan kilt because it has a military association. At the time I got it I was in the Marines and there were no US service tartans available as there are now. I was also reenacting with two Highland regiments (F&I War and Rev War) and they both wore the Black Watch.
    Virginia Commissioner, Elliot Clan Society, USA
    Adjutant, 1745 Appin Stewart Regiment
    Scottish-American Military Society
    US Marine (1970-1999)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Civilian Canada is awash in Black Watch, it's used pretty much anywhere a dark tartan is wanted. It's seen as a people's tartan, if you will. Anyone worried or offended about it being used would have to hire staff to keep track of where it was turning up. And my guess is that even in Scotland the use of it by a military member of any allied forces would be seen as a compliment.

kiltedwolfman
    The first regiment I served with wore the BWand certainly wouldn't have a problem seeing another service member in it. And as has been said already the BW tartan is everywhere so anyone taking offence to a military member in it should start with everyone not in the service wearing it first.

Just my 2 cents

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a friend who is recently retired from the RAF. He went to a Highland Games with me last summer, and was absolutely stoked to find a Black Watch kilt there in his size (he's stout!) He seemed to think that wearing the tartan was a good way to pay respect to his service, so it seems that even native Scots have no problem with it. So I would say wear it!
    "Two things are infinite- the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wear it if you want, for the military connection...but it's sort of the default tartan.

Good looking tartan, too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Scotland, Black Watch is often referred to as the Government Sett. My first kilt was Black Watch as I wore it while attending official ceremonies connected with my then employment in local government. There is no restriction on who can wear it and it is a popular tartan which is often found in cheap kilts intended for wearing to the pub or to spectate at rugby or soccer games.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.