X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Victorian Era Jacket

Good morning all,

I am looking for help identifying this jacket. I purchased it used several years ago, I have had some minor tailoring done to improve the fit. I have also just recently had a Maple Leaf tartan waistcoat, cut on the bias, made for it.

It very much has a resemblance to a Sheriffmuir jacket but has a collar with lapels vs. the stand-up Mandarin collar.

Does anyone have any information on a jacket like this?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you please give us a picture, especially a close-up of the collar in addition to a full-length photo? It would help.

See: "How to post photos" if you're having trouble with that: https://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/...s_faq_pictures
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully photos are attached

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KOSBD/M View Post
    Hopefully photos are attached
    Sorry, not this time. Don't be discouraged, it's a rather complex and picky process.

Bill+
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's simply a doublet. (I clicked on the paperclip "attachment icon" to view the photos.)

Doublets were by far the most common Evening Dress jacket c1850-1910.

For one thing, all the other styles like the Prince Charlie Coatee, the Montrose Shell Jacket, and the Sheriffmuir Doublet weren't invented until around 1910 (Prince Charlie Coatee) and the others after WWI.

Doublets were made with a variety of lapel styles and front-opening styles.

What made them "doublets" were the Inverness tashes/skirts around the lower jacket starting at the waist.

And doublets usually had Gauntlet Cuffs, but were occasionally seen with other types of cuffs.

Here's a collection of photos of gents wearing doublets I put together to show the variety seen in the c1850-c1910 period.

The doublet at upper right shows a front-opening style like yours, cut to hang open with an inverted "V" and nonfunctional buttons running down each side.

Last edited by OC Richard; 5th June 24 at 02:47 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: