X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WTB: MOD sporran cantle

I'm a leather worker so I can make my own sporran. But I'm desperate for a MOD cantle. If anybody has one for sale, whether you made it or not, I'd love to have it!

Email me at salmunmousavi@gmail.com please. Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might be lucky, and find one for a reasonable price, but their popularity and increasing rarity is driving up the price people are willing to pay.

This sold on eBay this week - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176410831359

And House of Labhran have their own replica versions readily available - https://houseoflabhran.com/vintage-b...llseye-sporran - which retail atabout £100 more than the eBay one.

So they're not cheap..!

There are different versions, with either a pull-up or push-down spring mechanism closure, in all-brass or with nickel dome studs. And with either four or five snap-stud bag mounting.

Whilst they 'look the part' the hinged opening restricts access to the bag, and they're not as practical as they might seem. But the cantles are easily interchangeable, so you can keep a selection of bags and swap them as the fancy takes you.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's one on Ebay now currently going for 72 cents.

Going out on a limb here, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it will end up being a bit higher than that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37548741282...Bk9SR8iqspSFZA
    Last edited by OC Richard; 17th June 24 at 07:57 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post

You might be lucky, and find one for a reasonable price, but their popularity and increasing rarity is driving up the price people are willing to pay.
    It's so stange with those things.

A few years ago I bought a lot of three on Ebay for around $50.

I kept two and put one back on Ebay. It only went for around $40.

A couple years later I put another one up on Ebay, it went for over $200.

There's no pattern, even fairlly recently I've seen them sell for under $100 and over $300 in the same month.

Whilst they 'look the part' the hinged opening restricts access to the bag, and they're not as practical as they might seem.
    That's why I sold mine. I have big hands and it wasn't easy to retrieve stuff out of that thing.

Thing is, they're not fullsize cantles in the modern sense. Since around WWI the vast majority of UK-made cantles have been 6 inches wide. This standardisation is what allowed Frederick Narborough to sell dozens of cantle designs to quite a few different sporran makers.

I regularly swap cantles, which I can do because whether a sporran is by WE Scott or Nicoll Brothers or L&M or Thomas Dunlop etc the cantles will be 6 inches wide.

Recently for some unknown reason some of the Pakistani makers, long doing re-casts of UK-made cantles, have begun making slightly under-sized cantles, 5.75 inch more or less, which as I recall is the size of those 1953 Coronation Dress cantles.

The cantles are easily interchangeable, so you can keep a selection of bags and swap them as the fancy takes you.
    That's the coolest part, the bodies are held on by press buttons/poppers/snaps so you can have one cantle and a selection of different bodies.

If only the cantles were bigger!
    Last edited by OC Richard; 17th June 24 at 08:12 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte