X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Nice vintage Black Watch sergeants/officers/pipers sporran there! Though an odd choice for a Dr Who costume, seems to me.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I didn't know he was Scottish!

I saw him on Graham Norton and I couldn't make out his accent.

Tennant put on an English accent for the role. Have the other Scots done?
    The accent question is an interesting one.

There is no difference beween English and Scots when they write the language, but they are distincitve when they speak, of course.

When it comes to accents, I can think of at least eight English accents that are quite disinct from each other, and cannot be mistaken, and there is probably a similar number in Scotland, too. Outside Scotland, the Glasgow or Edinburgh speach is probably most commonly thought of as 'Scottish' but they are quite distinct from each other, and you may hear an accent that is taken to be English - until they go south of the border, and then they can't be so easily placed.

Accents have become the battle-ground for the class war in recent times, and even the likes of Prime Ministers have lowered their speach style a notch or two to be socially more acceptable - both Tony Blair and David Cameron are examples.

Formally-trained actors sometimes acquire a distinct RADA, or stage-school style that is close to received pronunciation, or what used to be called 'BBC English' that is meant to be accentless and with 'correct' intonation, pronunciation, etc. And Scots actors' accents frequently become less distinct as a consequence.

The traditional indistrial region of the of Scotland's central belt that links Glasgow with Edinburgh, is where you might find the strongest 'Scottish' accents. But go further north and the accent becomes softer and gentle, and much more like what is heard in parts of England - so much so that Samuel Johnson commented on it when making his tour of the Highlands in the 1770s, so it's not a new thing.

Being the national broardcaster, the BBC has always had a 'thing' about regional accents, and have done many programmes on them - they did one of the difference between Glasgow and Edinburgh which featured Billy Connolly and you can see it on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0hS1NcH6R8). Andy Stewart's The Rumour is an amusing look at how the Scottish accent can change dramatically in just 20 miles or so.

I imagine that their natural accent for some actors is a bit like the old pair of slippers they keep at home. When working away, they are kind of in costume and playing a role, but, when they get home again, their old accent is waiting for them alongside their old slippers, and they slide back into both for comfort and ease. I've known Scots working in England do exactly this. And English, too.

Whether Scots actors choose to, or are directed to, tone-down their accent, I can only guess...
    Last edited by Troglodyte; 23rd July 24 at 03:09 AM.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    British regional accents are still there, but often not as distinct as they were in my youth. Even with my ancient and damaged hearing I can often place the assorted accents and turn of phrase, pretty accurately and sometimes, I can, on occasion, even place an accent to within a very specific area of a county.

Australian, New Zealand, South African, many ex-Empire African Countries, some States in the USA and Canada are/were quite easily recognised too, some British Schools still to this day have quite distinct accents too. Accents used to be a party trick of mine-------particularly useful as an opening line with a pretty lady at a party or, at dinner when seated next to a stranger------ and even though I say it myself, I was quite good at it.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 23rd July 24 at 04:47 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I can often place the assorted accents and turn of phrase, pretty accurately and sometimes, I can, on occasion, even place an accent to within a very specific area of a county.
    That's a game I like to play.

Pygmalion's Professor Higgins was the master, and claimed to place a speaker's origin to within one or two streets, if in London.

Once, on holiday in Greece, a stranger overheard my wife speaking and asked her if she was from a particular village - almost, she is from the next one just four miles away..!

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Accents were much more varied and stronger years ago. TV has had a lot to do with changing that. About forty years ago I was at a conference in Cleveland Oh. One evening I was having a drink in the bar and the bar maid told me one of the customers was from England. I introduced myself to him and as soon as he spoke I knew where he was from. So I asked him where he was from, he replied Wiggan. I said where originally were you from. He replied a place called Carlisle, I then told him I was from there . To make a long story short. I found out he worked on the railroad, I asked where. When he told me I said my dad worked there. He asked what was my dads name, when I told him he looked at me and said "I was his apprentice". I think we were both shocked and needed a couple of large ones to revive us.
    I don't think that would be possible today. The last time I was there seemed to me the dialect had completely changed.

10. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to stickman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stickman View Post
    Accents were much more varied and stronger years ago. TV has had a lot to do with changing that. About forty years ago I was at a conference in Cleveland Oh. One evening I was having a drink in the bar and the bar maid told me one of the customers was from England. I introduced myself to him and as soon as he spoke I knew where he was from. So I asked him where he was from, he replied Wiggan. I said where originally were you from. He replied a place called Carlisle, I then told him I was from there . To make a long story short. I found out he worked on the railroad, I asked where. When he told me I said my dad worked there. He asked what was my dads name, when I told him he looked at me and said "I was his apprentice". I think we were both shocked and needed a couple of large ones to revive us.
    I don't think that would be possible today. The last time I was there seemed to me the dialect had completely changed.
    I love this kind of story!

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timemeddler View Post
    yes Jamie McCrimmon was with the second doctor, I don't think he ever wore anything else. That and I seem to recall Lethbridge Steward wore one at least once.

The Brig wore a kilt and highland attire in the 4th Doctor series “Terror of the Zygons” (though it was a civilian outfit , not a military one) and the good Doctor sported a balmoral bonnet.

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    The Brig wore a kilt and highland attire in the 4th Doctor series “Terror of the Zygons” (though it was a civilian outfit , not a military one) and the good Doctor sported a balmoral bonnet.

Cheers

Jamie
    I'll have to rewatch it now that I know which one it was..

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like David Tennant, Martin Compston is a Scot who had to adopt an English accent for his biggest television role.

Pardon the football talk here, but the best way to hear an actor's most natural "home town" accent is to hear him being interviewed by a person from the same area he's from, for a show intended to be broadcast locally, and preferably discussing a topic that's personal to the actor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WibpmErbPhw
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123