X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

15 September

£2.47 food
    35p [unclear]
    £1.05 bus
    £3.05 bus
    £1.80 hostel
    80p lunch

[missing photos]
    •From Carbisdale
    •Bonar Bridge (Main St) Larg Rd
    Carbondale Castle (~5miles) built 1850's with alimony by Duchess of Sutherland to spite Duke by showing the world his money from Bonar Bridge
    •Ardvreck Castle on the fly

Bonar Bridge [spoken] English sounds very Highland. Misty today. Bits of drizzle. Wt 145 lbs Skye man [I have no idea what this meant. My weight at the time is probably it]
    Such a relief to be back in West Coast tides, write about trip later [below]. Can see Harris, Point and Muirneag.

[missing photos]
    •Suilven
    •Achmelvich, Russian fleet? Outer Islands? Harris

Caught ride into Bonar Bridge and laid in supplies. Talked a while w/ tourist [unclear] lady, then w/ petrol man, Skye Gaelic speaker.

Quite interesting. Bus to Lairg then Lochinver. Penultimate postbus [I think I meant that it went to the end of the road and had to turn back?]. Back ½ was for storage. Delivered papers and mail. Car postbus to Achmelvich Rd, then walk to Hostel. Older warden. Keeps everything shipshape and Bristol fashion. Separate containers for each kind of waste. Long talk with warden evening. Early bed.
    Last edited by DCampbell16B; 27th August 24 at 05:01 AM.
    "There is no merit in being wet and/or cold and sartorial elegance take second place to common sense." Jock Scot

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DCampbell16B For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is odd what triggers different thoughts. Seeing my weight of 145 lbs got me reflecting. I am 20 pounds more than that now (and could usefully drop 5 or so). Two years ago next month I had a car accident. I wasn't injured, but as a result found I had a tumor on my kidney. Surgery was some months later. They removed a tumor the size of a rugby ball. When I left the hospital I was down to 139. It was while I waiting for surgery and when I was in the hospital I started making these entries.

All good so far, by the way!
    Last edited by DCampbell16B; 28th August 24 at 10:32 AM.
    "There is no merit in being wet and/or cold and sartorial elegance take second place to common sense." Jock Scot

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to DCampbell16B For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weight gain

Quote Originally Posted by DCampbell16B View Post
    It is odd what triggers different thoughts. Seeing my weight of 145 lbs got me reflecting. I am 20 pounds more than that now (and could usefully drop 5 or so). Two years ago next month I had a car accident. I wasn't injured, but as a result found I had a tumor on my kidney. Surgery was some months later. They removed a tumor the size of a rugby ball. When I left the hospital I was down to 139. It was while I waiting for surgery and when I was in the hospital I started making these entries.

All good so far, by the way!
    So glad you are gaining weight. I do pray you are getting good reports. I was just at the doctor and got good news. Last cat scan was negative. Dr told me I will be five years clear on my next visit. He told me he could not believe it. The type of cancer that I had they had given me three to six months. I guess the good Lord had more plans for me. So keep on believing in Him.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to stickman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ray! Good to hear your report too!

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DCampbell16B For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

16 September

£1.80 bus
    £1.56 food

Up 8:30 off 9:30 Short lift to Lochinver (Loch an inbhir) to Inverchaircaig. Another w/ RAF elec master sergeant across Inverpolly Reserve. Very beautiful. Walked a ways. Picked up in VW bus, English older couple and Isreali. Took us for sight seeing. Left at hostel, warden let us in (Isreali and I) eat lunch in. Walked afternoon. Tried for pic of an t-sail and Beann Mor Coigach, too misty. Should have anyway. Very wet today. Used new rain trousers and wellies. Dry feet, what a concept. Saw graveyard, beach, large old boat; old style oars.
    Israeli just out of 4 years military service (6 months Lebanon). [He] wants school. Tonight starts Rosh Hoshanna. [He planned to stay there to celebrate, as it was quiet to practically deserted and he could be alone] Weather very wet today. Would like to meet [local] Gaelic speakers here, but weather report[s] say clearing tonight (Ha!) nice morning, gales afternoon/evening. If I don't get out morning I won't get out. Laundry in Ullapool [I planned to get there the next day]. Hostel [Achiniver] very basic, no elec, gas light. Candle. Coal/peat stove, dirty coal fire. One other here. Student Geography.

[I remember the Israeli soldier. We were about the same age. We sat outside during a break in the rain and talked for quite a while. While he never talked about what he saw and did, I think he was dealing with what we would now label PTSD. We were the same age, and yet what a difference in our lives.]
    Last edited by DCampbell16B; 31st August 24 at 06:05 AM.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516