X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question History of brogues with straps?

I am researching the history of brogues. The use of straps, like those on modern buckle brogues, appears to have a long history in Highland brogues.

The earliest examples I can find come from the archaeological site of Eadarloch Crannog in Lochaber, dated 16th-early 17th century.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eadarloch Crannog brogue drawing.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	43926
    drawing of a brogue found at Eadarloch Crannog from Ritchie and Crowfoot 1942
    I believe that one of these brogues is on display at the West Highland Museum, but unfortunately, it is now in such poor condition that you can't really discern the original shape.

Sir Mungo Murry wears brogues with ankle straps in his circa 1683 portrait.

Name:	Sir Mungo Murry shoes .png 
Views:	1 
Size:	388.3 KB 
ID:	43927

Brogues with straps show up in several early 19th c. paintings:

Name:	detail Sir_David_Wilkie_The_Penny_Wedding 1818.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	482.5 KB 
ID:	43928
    detail from The Penny Wedding by Sir David Wilkie 1818

Name:	Highland Dancer c1822, Inverness Museum.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	43929
    early 19th c. painting of a Highland dancer from the Inverness Museum

Name:	Horace Vernet 1823 Allan M'Aulay crop.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	43925
    painting of Allan M'Aulay from 'A Legend of Montrose' by Horace Vernet 1823
    The straps on these brogues are weirdly low, but the other details are accurate enough that I think Horace Vernet must have had a real Scotsman model for this painting.

Brogues with straps were a popular choice in 'Highlanders of Scotland' by Kenneth MacLeay

Although brogues with straps were clearly worn during the 17th and 19th centuries, I have yet to find any examples of them from the 18th century. Has anyone seen examples of this type of brogue dating to the 18th c.?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You raise such an interesting question!

It's puzzling the two paintings showing shoes with flaps, Mungo Murray as you show, and Lord Duffus, both seen in this collage I did.

I actually hadn't paid attention to the fact that Mungo Murray's shoes have a small gap between the shoe and the strap.

With Lord Duffus the flap hides whatever might be going on there.

I hadn't seen that Penny Wedding painting. I had always imagined that putting a strap over the instep was a later development.

We can see that the 18th century shoes that covered the whole foot and had functioning buckles evolved as the 19th century progressed, being cut lower and lower, becoming slip-on pumps with a nonfunctional buckle at the toe.

I had thought that it was a matter of a strap being added to this shoe. Highland officers in the mid-19th century can be seen wearing both the strapless pump and the brogue with strap in the same orders of dress (Levee Dress, Mess Dress) depending on regiment.

Here even late in the 19th century Argylls officers are still wearing the slip-on style.

Last edited by OC Richard; Today at 06:07 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those pants on the far left are surprisingly high waisted. Are they at the same waist as kilts?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by User View Post
    Those pants on the far left are surprisingly high waisted. Are they at the same waist as kilts?
    That was the normal height for pretty well all men's pants into the 50s and then the 60s shifted.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I actually hadn't paid attention to the fact that Mungo Murray's shoes have a small gap between the shoe and the strap.
    Richard. The the dating of the Mungo Murray portrait is wrong, it's c.1680 rather than 1660.