X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very curious about the comments, apparently from residents in the Old World, that us in the New World have stricter rules about kilts.

Did I read that correctly ?

I always grin when reading anything about wearing a kilt "correctly". As part of a Scottish costume - sure - there would naturally be rules and traditions.

Kilts are the only similar type of masculine clothing I'm aware of in modern Western culture, and of course they're from Scotland. But I believe that while many of are appreciative of the Scotts for popularizing such a great garment, we simply wear them for comfort.

Is that "OK" ?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Costume? COSTUME? Kilt attire when worn outwith the theatre, or, film set is NOT a costume! The term is, please: "kilt attire":

In the "Old World" as you put it, there are with civilian kilt attire, traditions, conventions, accepted practice, experience and the elusive and the almost indefinable term of "good taste" , to follow and to consider, but, there are NO RULES to guide us. I should add that many of us over here do wear the kilt for comfort too. The military have things much better organised with their Dress Regulations, but not so for civilians. I think this is what confuses those of you outwith the Highlands of Scotland. I have to also add that the "Kilt Hire Company Look", with their myriad of unhelpful internet pictures, even within Scotland, does add to the confusion too!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; Today at 06:02 AM. Reason: Added a mild rebuke!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Costume? COSTUME? Kilt attire when worn outwith the theatre, or, film set is NOT a costume! The term is, please: "kilt attire":

That's what I meant - as a Scot, living in Scotland, it's genuinely authentic. Here in America, we don't really have that option. Hence my reference to "costume".

I imagine others also consider how much of the overall traditional Scottish look that would normally go with a kilt in Scotland is applicable elsewhere.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CBH View Post
    That's what I meant - as a Scot, living in Scotland, it's genuinely authentic. Here in America, we don't really have that option. Hence my reference to "costume".

I imagine others also consider how much of the overall traditional Scottish look that would normally go with a kilt in Scotland is applicable elsewhere.
    Well, if we go with what more than some of your countrymen say on this website, there are some members here who are extremely knowledgeable about kilt attire and some----- quite a large number actually-----are very engaged in Scottish attire and their connections with Scotland. Personally I find it difficult to process their need, but then I am not looking at the situation from where they stand. However, much of their overall kilt attire is very much as we would wear here in Scotland, but the detail is not understood by them.

Some of their attire is influenced by your Continent's more extreme weather, some are influenced by enthusiastic ignorance, some are influenced by mis-understanding, some are extremely knowledgeable about Scottish history and their connection to Scotland, there are some with very fanciful notions about Scottish attire and Scottish history too! But -------BUT------there is no denying the interest in kilt attire in all its forms from your countrymen and others world wide on this website and some are just interested in the kilt and are not too bothered about Scotland at all.

Given enough time on here you will see many combinations of interest
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

CBH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12