X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rip stop nylon kilt....tried one yet?

So im just starting to dig into this whole kilt thing and discovered a "rip stop nylon" utility kilt....anyone have one? how does it wear? cooler?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nylon ripstop would make an absolutely awful kilt. I think one utility kilt maker claimed to use it, but they also didn't understand anything about their materials. Nylon/cotton ripstop, OTOH, is really fantastic stuff for this application.
    Last edited by ratspike; 6th August 18 at 07:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen the UT Kilts ripstop kilts. They are the same sort of ripstop material that military BDUs are made from. I assume that it is a cotton/nylon or cotton/polyester blend. The material feels lightweight, but tough. It seems like it would be good for warm climates or Summer wear if you are working in the heat. If I recall correctly, they were around $60. I think all of their kilts have a 23 inch drop, but you can have one made a different length for about 20 bucks extra. I hope that helps. I only touched one of these kilts, but didn't purchase one. I did buy their ultimate utility kilt and really like it for applications where I'm working outdoors or hanging around the house. I wish I could help you more with your question, but that is about the best I can do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 5.11 Tactical Kilt, but that is a poly/cotton ripstop fabric. It's a great casual kilt, but it's a bit generously sized.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good morning, I recently picked up a used Utilikilt Spartan camo in rip stop cotton and it is the lightest one I have and I really like it for everyday wear. I love how it falls in my lap when sitting unlike the 511 which is not a good sitting kilt. But the 511 is a great material in my mind, just with it had more pleats and front coverage. One thing I find is wind control is more difficult to deal with with the lighter kilts.
    IF YOU SAY YOU CAN OR CAN'T DO SOMETHING YOU ARE CORRECT.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No intent to break the rules here....I hope....

Macabi makes a "Riverkilt" that I enjoy which is knee length, rip stop nylon - though it is unpleated so technically probably not a kilt.

But, its perfect for the river. Having worn a wool kilt rafting down the Grand Canyon and polyviscose and cotton kilts rafting Glen Canyon, I've settled on the unpleated Macabi in ripstop nylon. I think its ripstop...will double check the tags. MUCH less cumbersome and of course much lighter - which is a key factor in packing for the weight limit on the down canyon trips.

Never had a problem with quality on the nylon.

As Utilikilt says, "form follows function." The unpleated nylon is perfect for the river and preserves FREEDOM!
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post: