X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink New member signing in from Glasgow

Hello all. New member signing in. My name is Helen and I live about 9 miles outside of Glasgow, Scotland. I have 4 grown up children and 2 grandsons. Accidently came across this fascinating forum while trying to date a sporran (not romantically date a sporran as I am sure there is a special forum for that in some dark corner of the internet) but put a date to a sporran that belonged to my father. Look forward to reading through the various forums.

Slainte Mhath
    Helen

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Malarky67 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard...

Please fasten your seat belt and keep the back in an upright position - you're in for a bumpy ride..!

But it'll be fun and informative. So enjoy the journey...

The sporran you mention sounds intriguing.

Can you post clear and detailed pictures of it, particularly the back with the maker's mark (if there is one) and any hallmarks on the cantle (if there are any) as there are plenty on this forum who have to knowledge and expertise to tell you everything you need to know.

Us XMarkers are spread around the world, but a fair proportion (such as myself) are based in Scotland so you'll find a wide variety of amusing and informative views from a well-seasoned kilted community.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I don't think the sporran in question is particularly old or special other than it belonged to my father. It is needing a bit of a clean up. My son is currently having a kilt made and I am going to give him the sporran and thought knowing some info would be nice. My dad had 3 sporrans, one I have, one my brother has and a leather one that has got lost in time.

Is there a part of the forum for posting questions etc?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum from Calgary, Alberta!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from a fellow Glaswegian! I've been living South of the border for many years, but spend holidays in Scotland whenever I can.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the "Great Rabble"! "General Kilt Talk" could well be the best spot to post questions, although, you may get a few insights here. Photos would help, although for many they're challenging to post. OC Richard, Troglodyte and Figheadair are likely able to help with historical sporran details.

Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.