X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: what's logical doesn't always look right

Quote Originally Posted by CopperNGold View Post
    Most of us shave or wax our legs and slather them with any number of lotions, giving us smooth, soft, and sometimes, tanned legs. For general viewing pleasure, hairy ankles are just not as attractive.

Just my $.02.
    True.... Perhaps that's why a number of men, like models, swimmers, cyclists, triathletes, shave their legs... (And I realize that it's creepy for some women, but I also know for a fact that some women think men with smooth legs are hot!) I even remember reading some years ago, that a number of hosiery companies used male leg models for their product packaging due to the muscle and fat distribution in a man's leg making for a very shapely effect.

Back to the topic in the thread... I know exactly what Alan is saying, but I think that like everything we aren't accustomed to seeing, it takes some getting used to. Many mainstream folk could also say that seeing a man in an unbifurcated garment "just doesn't look right" to them, even though their logic tells them it should be okay.

Alan's specific example -- to me, it's hard to relate. I haven't seen any photos of guys wearing kilts with oxfords but no hose/socks. I guess I'd have to see it to know whether I'd find it strange or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With about $600 in art work on my legs, I show them off as much as possible. Both tats are kilt (heritage) themed.
    Gentleman of Substance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KWD View Post
    I agree with you, I believe the reasoning at least in my mind is a Kilt is not a skirt, a woman doesn't have to wear stocking or socks with a skirt, but in my mind hose just have to be worn with a kilt.. so in my head it just doesn't look right, but I am sure there are plenty of people that think it is perfectly fine to do so.

even in my most casual dress, (rugby jersey, kilt and day sporran) I still wear hose and flash.. it's just how i see it should be...
    Most pictures of the Tartan Army, they don't wear full hose and flashes and look perfectly ok to me, but myself I prefer to do so.

Chris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kiltedwolfman View Post
    IMO it all depends on how the person wearing the kilt is presenting themselves. By this I mean thier overall presence, not just their outfit. *snip*

In Martial Arts we call it Kigorai and it pertains to presenting yourself to the world with confidence and strength of character. I feel this is the same in the kilting world. I see people dressed in different ways sometimes in what would easily be considered pretty decent attire, but the way they carry themselves lends to a notion that they are not comfortable in thier clothes and thusly they just look wrong.
    You may have a good point here: At least within limits. I have noticed myself that I sometimes see pictures of guys wearing combinations of clothing items which SHOULD (probably) bug me, but they don't because they just "carry it well". Kigorai.

I remember the first time I saw a picture of a guy wearing clogs with a UK. I thought he looked great. A few days later I saw something much the same, and thought the guy looked awful. A few days after that I got to wondering....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CopperNGold View Post
    Most of us shave or wax our legs and slather them with any number of lotions, giving us smooth, soft, and sometimes, tanned legs. For general viewing pleasure, hairy ankles are just not as attractive.

Just my $.02.
    Honest, now. Honest truth. Do you find mens legs (unshaven) to be unattractive?

maybe you meant to say that they are attractive enough, but just less so that those same legs if they'd been shaven and lotioned and generally "taken care of".

Please understand that I am not passing judgement, just trying to understand.

Personally, the skin on my shins is beaten to (*&%$#(*& from years of hiking in brush, slamming into the bedframe, close encouters with bicycle pedals, and box jumps where I "missed the box" and so on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the whole question of what looks good really depends on perception, which to a large part depends on what you are used to. I think oxfords, or, worse, brogues without socks would look awful, kilted or not. Oxfords and brogues are both too dressy and too bulky to look good without socks. Loafers, however, seem fine to me without socks for informal occasions, and in some areas, during the summer, men can wear loafers without socks while wearing a sport coat and not being considered effete. I should be honest, though, and admit that I have never worn dressy oxfords or brogues with a kilt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12