X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Contemporary, Non-tartan Kilts Equivalent to Shorts?

In another of my threads, there were comments along the lines of, if you wouldn't wear it with shorts, then not with a contemporary kilt.
    How many of us contemporary kilt wearers regard this style of kilt to be an equivalent or replacement for shorts?
    If not, what is your view point?

Thank you.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…
    Yes, I have squirrels in my brain…

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Contemporary, Non-tartan Kilts Equivalent to Shorts?

Not me. When wearing my Utilikilt, I usually wear boots (and sometimes canvas leggings, when hiking). It looks pretty good with a kilt, but would just look stupid with shorts.

On the other hand, I will wear Keen sandals with shorts, but I think they look terrible with a kilt.

To me, a kilt (even a contemporary one) is just a different animal than shorts. The two garments may cover exactly the same part of my body, but for some reason they have completely different looks and require different proportions for me to think they look right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wear 8-eye docs with both, although I reserve some of my thin, brightly colored and scrunchable hose with kilts, and regular white tubesocks with shorts.

Other than that, and the sporran, I view them as slightly interchangeable - especially if you grew up in punk rock and especially the grunge era.
    Have fun and throw far. In that order, too. - o1d_dude

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree... I wear sandles with shorts... but wear my Bluntstone boots with my kilt.... I just think that sandles and kilts look some-what.... off...But in the spirit of this forum, I think that you should wear what feels/works best for you!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BB - I don't consider a kilt as shorts replacements. There is a world of differnece in comfort. I agree with Tobus that they are two different animals. I wore longer shorts before kilting with white crew socks and Brooks walking or running shoes (with orthotics) in light colors.
    The only difference now that I am permanently in the Utilikits is the socks and shoes are black. Crew length in summer and OTC or knee length in the winter. I may have to stay with the OTC/knee though and switch to my black cotton compression hose for lower leg blood flow issues some day.

The other change is more fitted t-shirts and shirts, so that there isnt all that extra fabric hanging around above the belt. With shorts (or pants) it didn't look bad tucked in to me. But with kilts the tapering profile from knee to waist makes loose tops seem tacky to me. If you work at it and have a tapered torso, show it, the look is great and is a smoothly proportioned double v.
    My 2.5 inch kilt belts let me know when to back away from the table and do some walking - - great feedback!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Not me. When wearing my Utilikilt, I usually wear boots (and sometimes canvas leggings, when hiking). It looks pretty good with a kilt, but would just look stupid with shorts.

On the other hand, I will wear Keen sandals with shorts, but I think they look terrible with a kilt.

To me, a kilt (even a contemporary one) is just a different animal than shorts. The two garments may cover exactly the same part of my body, but for some reason they have completely different looks and require different proportions for me to think they look right.
    Yep, what he said. Word for word.
    Shorts <> Kilts
    Kilts > Shorts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I've used the canvas kilt as exchangeable for shorts, and worn the athletic sandals with the ankle straps. That was with a T-shirt, * With a Hawaiian shirt over a T-shirt, too*. I can't say I consider them to be equivalent to shorts or even to replace shorts … more like wearing the canvas kilt instead of shorts, but it's still a kilt rather than cut off trousers.

My view point has changed over the few years I've been in the kilted world.
    Last edited by Bugbear; 24th January 12 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Adding the Hawaiian shirt part.
    I tried to ask my inner curmudgeon before posting, but he sprayed me with the garden hose…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I made the shorts remark;
    " I'd guess my rule of thumb would be if I don't think a footwear selection would look OK with shorts, I likely wouldn't sport them with a kilt."

In that thread we were mostly discussing cowboy boots, and other western-wear stuff. The thread made me think of some of the footwear I often see worn with kilts. I can say I'm pretty sure the only times I've seen cowboy boots worn with kilts has been at Highland games here in Texas. I assume these guys are having a bit of fun, because I can report that most onlookers find them funny.

But I see plenty of other 'questionable' footwear choices with kilts out and about, both trad tartan and contempo styles. Stuff like pirate boots, lots of those button-up renfaire boots-both ankle and knee high, and even various styles of motorcycle boots. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that if these guys were wearing any kind of short pants, they likely would not think to wear their pirate boots.
    I started to include 'Crocs' in that list, but let's be real; they'd look equally bad with whatever else you're wearing.
    But I wonder, do folks think that kilts must require some 'special' footwear, and whatever their regular shoe choices might be won't cut it?

Here's an interesting thought: Would you wear Ghille brogues with shorts? I wouldn't, but then I don't wear 'em with any kilts either...

But back on topic, are Contemporary, Non-tartan Kilts Equivalent to Shorts? That's obviously a matter of perspective, and I'll be up-front here; I do not own any "contemporary MUG" type kilts, I do not care for them personally.
    (It's OK, I have issues! I don't like shorts either.)
    I know lots of folks like MUGs fine, and I'm glad they do.
    But I have to say that when I see said kilts out in public, they are generally Utilikilts, and they are worn in such a haphazard way that makes them interchangable in my eye to those baggy cargo shorts that nobody looks good in. So yes, I usually think of them as equivalent to shorts.

Sorry guys, these look about the same to me
    Order of the Dandelion, The Houston Area Kilt Society, Bald Rabble in Kilts, Kilted Texas Rabble Rousers, The Flatcap Confederation, Kilted Playtron Group.
    "If you’re going to talk the talk, you’ve got to walk the walk"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Zardoz, I had trouble finding the post that got me thinking about it. I guess you were talking about the traditional kilt, and I was thinking about the contemporary kilt.

Basically, yes, I wear the same footwear I do with trousers and shorts when I wear the canvas kilts. I don't ever wear cowboy boots, or any boots that aren't low cut; no special shoes with kilts. The socks or hose might be different, taller or longer/thicker, though.
    In relation to shorts, I am putting on the canvas kilt instead of shorts, but it's not really the same.
    I am sort of putting on hose or tall socks instead of jeans or trousers.
    The kilt is kind of a "different beast" to me too, I guess.