X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gaidhlig Psalms from the Isle of Lewis

My ancestors emmigrated from the Isle of Lewis. The language is still very much in use there and here is a very interesting video I found on YouTube of Gaelic psalm singing on Lewis. It is haunting.

http://youtu.be/k3MzZgPBL3Q
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Just wow.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Extremely evocative. Thanks for sharing...keep them coming!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously, Nathan. Your posts are always inspiring and enlightening. I really have learned a lot about Scottish culture within and outwith Scotland from your posts. The latter has a little more significance for me personally as a descendant of Scots in North America. Your posts (and others, to be fair) have inspired me (and others, I'm sure) to rediscover their ancestral roots.

Thank you sincerely, my friend.
    Last edited by TheOfficialBren; 7th May 13 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Typing on a tablet before coffee...not a good idea.
    The Official [BREN]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. Thank you.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOfficialBren View Post
    Seriously, Nathan. Your posts are always inspiring and enlightening. I really have learned a lot about Scottish culture within and outwith Scotland from your posts. The latter has a little more significance for me personally as a descendant of Scots in North America. Your posts (and others, to be fair) have inspired me (and others, I'm sure) to rediscover their ancestral roots.

Thank you sincerely, my friend.
    That's very nice of you to say. I'm just grateful that this forum has so many interesting categories that let us expand the conversation beyond the particularities of apparel and attire. I'm also really pleased to find such a rich community of wise tradition bearers and generally articulate gentlemen and ladies. Between the historians, artisans, pipers, kilt makers, soldiers, sartorial masters, Highland gentry, heralds... (I could go on)... I'm happy to be able to contribute to the conversation.

I had the good fortune to be raised among the remnant of the living (albeit endangered) Gaelic culture and the preservation, celebration and promotion of the same has been a lifelong passion. It is wonderful to be able to share the stories, song, tunes, dances and customs of our people with kin and kindred spirits the world over.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you say, haunting. Quite amazing to listen to, and so unlike the singing of "metrical psalms" (in English) which was the norm where I grew up in the Central Lowlands.