X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waterloo...Cannae...Pleasanton...Estes.

Two lessons learned: don't two-spin HWD if you're 172 lbs and don't know what you're doing, and more time needs to be spent in practice.

Not a satisfying culmination to my season, as my numbers dropped on almost every event. My two bright spots in a 6th of 11 overall ranking was the WOB (finally gained a foot in competition!) and caber. My actual caber turning was not spectacular, but I did well enough to bring home a first-place medal in the event! In the middle of a sudden mountain storm, no less. Felt wonderfully atmospheric.

I am disappointed by my numbers for the season, but I know why they are what they are. I spent most of my first season simply basking in the glow of calling myself a highland athlete (granted, it's not a bright glow) and having fun. I don't plan on losing the fun, but my competitive fires have been stoked a bit and my drive to improve is in gear for the off-season. I'm taking some time off until the end of October--letting some significant biceps/forearm and back discomfort heal up and catch some beach time in Cabo with my family. Then I'm back at it. I have to put on some weight for next season--they raised the "lightweight" classification from 190 to 200 . I weighed in at each event with a supply-laden backpack and full water jug and I was always well below 180...my wife will be sad to see my pretty abs go bye-bye, but I'm almost forty. Bound to happen pretty soon anyway.

Practice, practice, speed, speed. I know what I need to do to improve, just got to get off my duff and do it!

I will probably keep this log open to post some videos, ask questions, report on career-ending injuries, etc., but my 2013 season is done. For all my chagrin, it was a truly enjoyable summer--met some great people and did some stuff I never thought I'd be doing. Cannot do much better than that!
    Mister McGoo

A Kilted Lebowski--Taking it easy so you don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All in all it sounds like it was worth doing
    KILTED LABOWSKI

"I imagine a place of brotherhood and peace, a world without war. Then I imagine attacking that place because they would never expect it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cable scot View Post
    All in all it sounds like it was worth doing
    Very true, Andy. The competition and camaraderie are enough to recommend it, but it also feels cool to be part of the festival(s). I can't pipe, my dancing looks like a full-body dry heave, and I can't imagine any clan wanting Pookey as their tent ambassador. Sipping from a flask and turning logs? Sign me up.
    Mister McGoo

A Kilted Lebowski--Taking it easy so you don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LitTrog View Post
    Very true, Andy. The competition and camaraderie are enough to recommend it, but it also feels cool to be part of the festival(s). I can't pipe, my dancing looks like a full-body dry heave, and I can't imagine any clan wanting Pookey as their tent ambassador. Sipping from a flask and turning logs? Sign me up.
    Spot on.

Look, there's a rope around the competition area. You were on THIS side of the rope. Everybody else is on THAT side.

So.

AND, besides, chicks think you're cool when you're on THIS side.

Remember, it took me EIGHT Games to turn my first caber. Seriously. You did it first time out the Gate. Ain't too shabby if you ask me.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Alan H For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm coming late to this thread and don't really have time to read all the replies. But it sounds like you are well on your way. I started competing in C class years and was always handily beaten. My weightlifting regimen was not providing enough strength and size, so I switched everything up: bench, military press, deadlift, rows, and squats. 3 times a week. Within a few months, I added more pounds. However, once I cleared 200 lbs, I didn't like how I felt (in high school I was around 145-155). My blood pressure was getting high, I felt sluggish, etc. I started focusing on lightweight, which I realized pretty quickly was much more competitive anyways. As far as I'm concerned, half the newbies who come in and dominate in their first game is purely due to their size. To be a good lightweight, you should be as close to 200 (or 190) as possible, possess strength, and more importantly, technique. Which is what Bs and As (minus the weight) are like anyways. But I really hated getting my butt handed to me by some 300 lb fat guy who decided to try highland games one day, who had no training. While I, on the other hand, had spent so much time since the last competition in the weight room and practice field. Anyways, I'm 41 now and I would prefer to keep my weight at a healthy level, keep my strength up, and break a PR at every game. Those are my goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that you are 40, come compete with the Masters and say goodbye to that 56 lb. beast and hello to the svelt 42 lber for WoB and HWD!!!!

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RogerWS76 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe you're off to being good in this field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh....I hated that 56lber. But I go between Masters and LW. Usually it depends on the day. I have my Clan Campbell duties and my girlfriend now competes, so it's nice to be on the field with her at the same time. I dont like being on my feet all day Saturday taking pictures and then competing Sunday. I think you and I, Roger, competed against each other one year.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerWS76 View Post
    Now that you are 40, come compete with the Masters and say goodbye to that 56 lb. beast and hello to the svelt 42 lber for WoB and HWD!!!!

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526