X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve has these sgain dubhs at his shop, and Rocky has them also. I got one a couple of years ago and an really pleased with mine. The corkscrew and screwdriver were very stiff at first, but with use have become smooth. I've opened one bottle with the corkscrew, and while operational is not the preferred method. The blade on mine has kept a nice edge, and since I actually use a knife as routine that is definitely to my liking. If you have as much luck with yours as I have mine English Bloke then you will really love this one!
    His Exalted Highness Duke Standard the Pertinacious of Chalmondley by St Peasoup
    Member Order of the Dandelion
    Per Electum - Non consanguinitam

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NorseCelt,

If you would like "A Rather Distinctive Sgain Dubh" please scroll down the Forum menu and find The X Market.

Or simply follow this link - http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=71982

I currently have three in stock with 12 more on order. I also have two without the crest recess if you prefer.

Please follow the directions in the thread regarding ordering.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice review!

Steve, Dale and all can any of you give your thoughts on the weight compared to standard sgian dubs? How does it feel when you wear it?

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Was suprised You were sent "an open bladed knife with a fully sharpened blade."
    Please can someone clarify this under English Law. Roddy"

I certainly hope there's not a problem with fixed blade knives. I just sent a hand made 3" blade Patch Knife to a friend in the UK. He said there shouldn't be any issues.

I hope he gets it...
    Last edited by MacGowan; 7th July 13 at 12:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Steve, Dale and all can any of you give your thoughts on the weight compared to standard sgian dubs? How does it feel when you wear it?
    It's a little more "handle-heavy" than a lot of others since, in addition to the brass bolsters and steel tools it also has brass liners running the entire length of the handle. Yet it still is not enough to make the knife feel especially "oddly weighted" in the hand, and it's certainly not noticeable in the stocking.
    "It's all the same to me, war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roddy:

I have no legal qualification so my opinion is worth naught, but my layman's interpretation is that in England and Wales, while dressed in full Scottish National Dress it is permitted to wear a sgian dubh as part of that regalia. It is seen as an item of "National Costume" which gives you Bone Fide reason for having it. That is, provided it is tucked discretely in your sock where it's supposed to be.

In areas of zero tolerance (certain city / town centres, all schools, most sporting fixtures etc.), areas of heightened security (airports, govt buildings and the like), or if you start brandishing it about or otherwise draw attention to it in public, it will then become just a knife and will not be regarded in the same light.

In addition, should you get into some sort of altercation while dressed in your full regalia (at your instigation or not) and the Peelers have cause to step in, whether your sgian was produced or not, by merely having it, you could be viewed as in possession of an offensive weapon. Regardless of your circumstances, the burden of proof will fall upon you to prove otherwise (in other words, you're bang to rights). The British Police are very keen on cracking down on knives for obvious reasons and will nick you first and ask questions after. With good reason and rightly so. Just read the papers.

My advice would be, if there is ANY possibility of the above situations occurring or any chance some meat-head will lift it from you and stab you with it, or any possibility a Constable will misconstrue your motivation for having it on your person, then don't wear it. Imitation sgian or not.

It's a bit like if you are carrying a hammer while wearing carpenter's trousers, you've got 2" nails gripped in your lips and sporting a badly bruised thumb, then that's probably OK. But if you're in possession of a hammer while wearing a black mask, a stripy jumper and carrying a bag with "SWAG" written on it, then chances are, it's not OK.

I stress again I'm not qualified and the above is merely a personal view on how I see things in MY locale. Don't quote me in court. I also stand to be corrected should anyone know better and it transpires I've got it wrong... (it's not unheard of).

I have strong views regarding the carrying knives but it isn't appropriate to discuss those here. Suffice to say I am very particular about when and where I wear mine. I have a dummy too, it's turned in one piece from an old whisky barrel... as it happens. That's a nice thing too. It's especially culturally significant to me.

And I also have a "dress" Regimental Sgian... which is also a nice thing. The blade on that is unsharpened.

Despite these being in my collection of stuff, and despite all the blades being less than 3" long (including the wooden dummy), in order to avoid the possibility of an unfortunate occurrence, I am invariably without them when dressed in my Kilt.

Jamie: I wear garter ties or flash elastics (with or without flashes). The Officers Sgian has a nice heft but isn't unduly heavy. It's about the same as my dress sgian but I feel happier with something there to hold it in place. I wouldn't want to loose it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John, as an ex special constable, I would say you are spot on with your interpretation.
    Friends stay in touch on FB simon Taylor-dando
    Best regards
    Simon

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Grizzly For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG A Swiss Army sgian dubh.. Stop it Your Killing Me..
    Last edited by Vectorxw8; 16th December 13 at 11:11 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like having the screwdriver/bottle-opener there, what a cool idea.

As a non-wine-drinker I would prefer not having the corkscrew.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12