X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Member from Texas

I've lurked for a while, now formally joining the forum.

I am American with no Scottish heritage. I have had a journey turning away from pants, and saw the kilt as a masculine way to enjoy freedom and comfort outside the house.

Others may have also started enjoying freedom from pants via nightshirts and velcro towels. Wearing kilts seemed like the natural extension into the public.

I am in my mid 50s, have been married for over 30 years, and have 3 grown children. They were all aghast at the thought of joining me in public while wearing the kilt, but they've gotten used to it.

Since I did not want to appear Scottish or wear a Scottish "costume", my first kilt was denim. The family told me that if I must wear a kilt, at least get one in tartan so people will know what it is.

I've come to the same conclusion. I certainly want to be mistaken for a freak, so all my new kilts are tartans.

I also realized that there are so many tartans not tied to a clan, that I bet real clan tartans are now the minority. I found American Heritage and Texas Bluebonnet, so I can wear tartans that actually represent me. So far I have had all mine made in Pakistan. I was shocked at the comparatively huge number of vendors for a product I have never seen in public. I still want a wool American Dream kilt from USAKilts, but they refuse to add pockets. Again, I'm not trying to look Scottish, so i did not want to wear a sporran if at all possible.

I'm curious what tartans are "neutral" and suitable to folks like me.

Also curious how others solved for pockets without sporrans.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the "Great Rabble"!

I'm sure you'll find your way. Personal opinion: kilt without a sporran looks mostly like a skirt, tartan or not.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Northeastern Colorado!
    Last edited by COScotsman; 4th June 24 at 04:47 PM.
    "Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
    Remember the men from whom you are descended.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum from Alberta!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from the Waco area;
    You will find a few companies make 'kilts' with pockets. Sportkilt has some with one pocket and canvas commando styles with back pockets. While they are not really kilts they will fool a lot of folks (they are acrylic not wool). There are many tartans that are not clan tartans. Scottish Pride, Scottish heritage, freedom tartan just to name a few.
    B.D. Marshall
    Texas Convener for Clan Keith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome from Southern California. I'm afraid I have to agree, a kilt without a sporran is a skirt. Give the sporran a try, once you get it sit right, you will find it very handy and comfortable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "not a kilt without a sporran"

You guys are funny.

I just want to draw a line between real men who wear kilts and cross dressers who really are wearing skirts.......... Given the giant chasm across that line, I expected more acceptance on our side of it.

We're a tiny niche group to begin with, so I am a little surprised.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest I consider a kilt a type of skirt designed to be worn mainly but not exclusively by men. I've never heard of a real difference between a kilt and a skirt.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.