X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makeover of my Makeover sporran

On an earlier post I showed my makeover of a reproduction London Scottish officers/pipe majors sporran.

While that makeover was fine, I thought the cantle called for a more Culloden-style look.

Seeing as I wanted a red liner to make the red heart cutouts in the cantle look nice, I went with matching red for the tassels.

I did the Culloden style tassels, a long middle one and short ones on each side.

As usual I did some weathering on the cords and tassels, as I had already done on the cantle.

Here's the result:

Last edited by OC Richard; 9th June 24 at 08:00 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The red gives a good contrast...

If you could come up with a detachable tassel cord system, a set of different colour options might be possible - like you get watches with different coloured straps to swap and change as the fancy takes you.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The style below does have that ability.

Since the strips of leather that support the tassels are attached to the liner/gasket and not to the sporran body, you could have a number of different interchangeable liner-tassels assemblies (different colours, various numbers and arrangements of tassels, etc.)

Actually that's what I was setting out to do: make a bright red liner/gasket to bring out the heart cutouts, with matching red strips and tassels.

But then I started looking at vintage sporrans with "Culloden" style cantles and many had the three-tassel arrangement, one long centre one with two short ones on the sides.

I do have a sporran with the cantle seen top left, which has the X-strips tassel arrangement. My plan is to someday more or less replicate that sporran.

Last edited by OC Richard; 10th June 24 at 06:33 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comparing Makeover 1 to Makeover 2.

I'm much happier with the new one (right).

BTW I had two church pipings gigs yesterday and wore the new sporran to both.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Comparing Makeover 1 to Makeover 2.

I'm much happier with the new one (right).

BTW I had two church pipings gigs yesterday and wore the new sporran to both.

The red really is striking, Richard. How 'usual' or 'frequent' is that, or has it been through the years? (Notice how I'm skirting the word 'traditional'.)
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

really nice

they are very attractive sporrans

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    The red really is striking, Richard. How 'usual' or 'frequent' is that, or has it been through the years? (Notice how I'm skirting the word 'traditional'.)
    Yes the red is really nice, adds a lot to the whole outfit. (The little matchy-matchy devil on one shoulder is whispering in my ear that I should get garter flashes in that exact red.)

That really cool period of sporran development around the late 19th and early 20th centuries had white leather sporrans with red tassels sometimes, here's one, and also a seal sporran with red tassels and liner making the heart cutouts pop out nicely.

These were my inspiration.

Last edited by OC Richard; 11th June 24 at 12:17 PM.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post: