X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RGM1 View Post
    my sense is it will leave a line.
    Wool will be fine, any creases will drop out (although I can't say I have noticed any when I have folded mine) - PV maybe not so much.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    Wool will be fine, any creases will drop out (although I can't say I have noticed any when I have folded mine) - PV maybe not so much.
    I've never noticed any creasing problems with kilts I've packed (sometimes shipping them, meaning they spend several days in packed configuration). Usually I roll them (as you would for a kilt roll) then slip a nylon stocking over them. Am I doing something wrong?
    When in doubt, end with a jig. - Robin McCauley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Under the seat

Will.a kilt carrier fit under a row of seats on typical airplane?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In today's sardine seating on planes there's no more comfortable way to fly than kilted. Storage problem solved.

Just make sure your kilt pin is one with short pins rather than the long pin that comes with the sword look kilt pins

Learned a trick about flying in a Utilikilt - go through the metal detector sideways so only a few snaps at a time are being scanned.

Usually fly in a USA Kilt polyviscose, but have also flown in 16 ounce hand sewn top of the line kilts.

For maximum comfort get a black cotton half slip to wear under the kilt to protect the kilt while still having the comfort of FREEDOM in those sardine seats.

And no sporran...wear a vest to carry what you'd normally carry in a sporran...like a photographers vest.
    Last edited by Riverkilt; 22nd June 24 at 08:26 PM.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long kilt pin

Does TSA hassle long pins? I just acquired a kilt pin that does not look like a sword and has square ends to avoid.being hassled, However it has a long pin on back. It is a nice piece of jade jewelry that I would hate to lose.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does TSA hassle long pins? I just acquired a kilt pin that does not look like a sword and has square ends to avoid.being hassled, However it has a long pin on back. It is a nice piece of jade jewelry that I would hate to lose.
    It is up to the discretion of the individual TSA officer. They have to make decisions, and they do.

Do yourself a favour, and whether it seems to be a problem or not, put it in your checked luggage. That way, you don't have to worry or wonder.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a grouse foot kilt pin that has so far evaded the electronic scanning devices.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something for you kilt travellers to consider.

I had occasion to visit Glasgow airport the other day to pick up a friend, whilst I was waiting I spotted something that might interest you air travellers. A gentleman, a Scot, who had obviously just landed passed me by clad in kilt attire. In his bonnet he was wearing a large silver blanket type kilt pin where the cap badge goes. I could not help but catch his eye and he paused for wee chat. Apparently the security team have never noticed, or, never questioned him about it and he has been doing it for years!-----------not much longer if the security types are reading this!--------------worth a try?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt pin question

Your comment about TSA sent me on a search for a kilt pin that did not look like a small dagger. I found a nice bit of jade, "Antique New Zealand Souvenir Pounamu Nephrite Jade Bar Gold Bar" that looked quite nice and ordered it after discussion with my female kin. Only issue is it is smaller than I was expecting, about 2 inches long. Further research indicates it is a style of brooch that seemed popular at the time. I am still considering wearing it as a pin. It is more delicate than my other kilt pin. Any guidance?

I also think it is less likely to cause commentary by TSA being obviously a bit of jewelry.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your comment about TSA sent me on a search for a kilt pin that did not look like a small dagger. I found a nice bit of jade, "Antique New Zealand Souvenir Pounamu Nephrite Jade Bar Gold Bar" that looked quite nice and ordered it after discussion with my female kin. Only issue is it is smaller than I was expecting, about 2 inches long. Further research indicates it is a style of brooch that seemed popular at the time. I am still considering wearing it as a pin. It is more delicate than my other kilt pin. Any guidance?

I also think it is less likely to cause commentary by TSA being obviously a bit of jewelry.
    It’s simple really, if you like it then wear it, only time and experience will decide whether you will continue to do so.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast