X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Tartan weaver with questions

My first tartan project was a 50" tied double cloth blanket with the Thousand Islands Tartan on one side and the St. Lawrence tartan on the other woven with Zephyr 50/50 silk/wool set at 24 epi per layer.
    My current project is designing a tartan for the Town of Hammond, NY. I am using Vavstuga 20/2 worsted wool. I just finished weaving a color/ sett gamp sett at 30 epi. I am about to resley the loom at 35 epi and repeat the gamp.
    My questions are:
    Does anyone out there have experience weaving tartan with this or another 20/2 worsted wool?
    Any advice or resources regarding sett (epi), the mechanics of color changes, and appropriate cloth finishing?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harrietburris View Post
    My first tartan project was a 50" tied double cloth blanket with the Thousand Islands Tartan on one side and the St. Lawrence tartan on the other woven with Zephyr 50/50 silk/wool set at 24 epi per layer.
    My current project is designing a tartan for the Town of Hammond, NY. I am using Vavstuga 20/2 worsted wool. I just finished weaving a color/ sett gamp sett at 30 epi. I am about to resley the loom at 35 epi and repeat the gamp.
    My questions are:
    Does anyone out there have experience weaving tartan with this or another 20/2 worsted wool?
    Any advice or resources regarding sett (epi), the mechanics of color changes, and appropriate cloth finishing?
    I have woven with a 2/20 worsted yarn but generally prefer a 2/16. With a 2/20 I'd be aiming for a 44-46 epi warp.

I don't understand what you mean by 'the mechanics of color changes,'?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Color changes

Do you split your 2 ply yarn at color changes or just double back with the intact thread (or something else)?
    Do you use a temple? If not, is there anything you consider when planning your selvedges (putting a narrow stripe at the edge didn't work well). I've considered placing a partial large block on the edge, or maybe just use a temple.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harrietburris View Post
    Do you split your 2 ply yarn at color changes or just double back with the intact thread (or something else)?
    Do you mean in the weft? I can't imagine why one would need or want to split the ply. Bear in mind the a simple tuck is fine and that if the colour changes are short, then the weft changes are often floated.

Do you use a temple? If not, is there anything you consider when planning your selvedges (putting a narrow stripe at the edge didn't work well). I've considered placing a partial large block on the edge, or maybe just use a temple.
    No, I don't use a temple. I double the last two ends through the same heddle.