X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RGM1 View Post
    Your comment about TSA sent me on a search for a kilt pin that did not look like a small dagger. Any guidance?
    Might be best not to take a pin as carry on.

This is my pin

It's about 3.5 inches and the pin on the back is much smaller - but as I mentioned this was potentially a problem in NZ. Fortunately one of the security guys recognised it for what it was and waived it through.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RGM1 View Post
    I travel light with just a roll-on bag that can be placed in the overhead and am curious how to travel with a kilt other than wearing it.
    I'm also a light traveller who has always used a single carry-on rolling suitcase even for a two-week trip.

Being a piper I've disassembled the pipes and there's room for the pipes, kilt, sporran, waistcoat, and a few ordinary casual clothes.

For me the big problem is shoes. I wear 13UK/14US and since one pair of shoes takes up nearly half my suitcase the only shoes I travel with are the ones on my feet. I wear plain leather casual shoes that look fine with anything.

But next month I'm again faced with the problem of travelling to Scotland with a Pipe Band for which I need to wear Ghillie Brogues. Since I'm not going to wear the Ghillies throughout my stay in Glasgow it means travelling with two pair of shoes.

I think the only way to create enough space in my suitcase is to wear my kilt on the flight. It's a bulky 8-yard heavyweight kilt, I have no choice in the matter, and it takes up quite a bit of precious space.

About kilt pins and sginean, I wouldn't dream of bothering with those while flying.
    Last edited by OC Richard; Today at 03:06 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123