X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 87 of 88 FirstFirst ... 377785868788 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did I mention this one?

$15 with no interest in it.

It has the distinctive tab shape used by Janet Eagleton MBE.

I've seen several sporrans that look exactly like hers but don't have a visible stamp. Not sure why.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26687843901...tion=10%7C3000
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    Let's hope the powers-that-be at eBay can refrain from arbitrary that's-banned-so-destroy-it action this time...
    That story gets stranger and stranger. The timeline:

9 May 2024.

I complete a Buy-it-Now purchase of item #2667 8448 0189 from t.bakerjewellery (Shifnal, England).

14 May 2024.

I receive a full refund from Ebay and a message stating in part "Your recent purchase cannot be completed. The item in question has been deemed restricted."

I contact the seller t.bakerjewellery saying that if horsehair is restricted can he remove the cantle and just post me the cantle and the chain strap.

The seller replies saying "Unfortunately the items don't get returned to us, I believe Ebay destroys them."

25 June 2024.

The sporran is relisted by a different seller, chaov-uk2014 (Bordon, England) item #2765 2446 1781. Oddly, the same photos from the original auction in May are re-used.

I message the seller saying that I had previously purchased that item from another seller, but that it was seized by Ebay. Would it be possible for him to remove the cantle and just post me the cantle and chain strap?

27 June 2024.

The seller chaov-uk2014 messaged me "Small world! This was purchased from an auction of undelivered mail."

Someone else purchased the sporran with Buy-it-Now.

What was never explained was why the second seller re-used the photos from the first auction. How could he do, if he wasn't aware that there had been a previous auction? And why would he do, if he had the sporran he had purchased at auction to hand?

I do wonder who the new buyer is. It's probably someone we know.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 3rd July 24 at 02:37 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    That story gets stranger and stranger. The timeline:

9 May 2024.

I complete a Buy-it-Now purchase of item #2667 8448 0189 from t.bakerjewellery (Shifnal, England).

14 May 2024.

I receive a full refund from Ebay and a message stating in part "Your recent purchase cannot be completed. The item in question has been deemed restricted."

I contact the seller t.bakerjewellery saying that if horsehair is restricted can he remove the cantle and just post me the cantle and the chain strap.

The seller replies saying "Unfortunately the items don't get returned to us, I believe Ebay destroys them."

25 June 2024.

The sporran is relisted by a different seller, chaov-uk2014 (Bordon, England) item #2765 2446 1781. Oddly, the same photos from the original auction in May are re-used.

I message the seller saying that I had previously purchased that item from another seller, but that it was seized by Ebay. Would it be possible for him to remove the cantle and just post me the cantle and chain strap?

27 June 2024.

The seller chaov-uk2014 messaged me "Small world! This was purchased from an auction of undelivered mail."

Someone else purchased the sporran with Buy-it-Now.

What was never explained was why the second seller re-used the photos from the first auction. How could he do, if he wasn't aware that there had been a previous auction? And why would he do, if he had the sporran he had purchased at auction to hand?

I do wonder who the new buyer is. It's probably someone we know.
    This sounds familiar...

There was something of an expose and scandal here in the UK a few years ago, regarding eBay's own and their courier's practices.

It became clear that eBay and the couriers had no intention of getting items to their due recipient, and were selling containers of undelivered parcels of items in what was seen as a scam. The defence was that the items had been 'lost' in transit, and the purchaser reimbursed.

But the seller lost out in every way - lost the item, lost the payment and lost the cost of mailing, too.

The parcels used as examples showed full and clear delivery and return addresses, and were clearly not lost - but it's a good way of getting rid of a back-log of consignments if you're unscrupulous.

Interestingly, the courier firm changed its name just after this, but is still the preferred service - so your sporran/cantle escapade might be an indication that all concerned are still up to their old tricks...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did I mention this one?

$15 with no interest in it.

It has the distinctive tab shape used by Janet Eagleton MBE.

I've seen several sporrans that look exactly like hers but don't have a visible stamp. Not sure why.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26687843901...tion=10%7C3000
    That is exactly what I'm looking for. But, alas, seal.
    Tulach Ard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacKenzie View Post
    That is exactly what I'm looking for. But, alas, seal.
    I’m not saying you should, but I bought one from eBay a few years ago that made it in just fine. Just make sure the seller doesn’t put what kind of fur it is.

*I’m not a lawyer and nothing in this post should be considered legal advice.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YOJiMBO20 View Post

I bought one (a sealskin sporran) from eBay a few years ago that made it in just fine. Just make sure the seller doesn’t put what kind of fur it is.
    There have been a few Ebay sellers who call their real sealskin sporrans "faux fur" to get around the law.

It's probably very unlikely that anyone will check if it's faux or real.

I've heard people say that they've repeatedly bought seal sporrans on Ebay UK and they've come into the USA without issues.

On the other hand I had a horsehair sporran stopped and seized, so who can say.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YOJiMBO20 View Post
    I’m not saying you should, but I bought one from eBay a few years ago that made it in just fine.
    I bid. Didn't win it. Outbid at the last minute and I wasn't at the computer as it was early AM... on a holiday.
    Tulach Ard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If fur fronts are a problem, how about this one.?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196481180371

It has a few tell-tale elements that suggest W. E. Scott of Edinburgh could be the maker, but it's not one I remember seeing in their catalogues. No maker's mark, but very similar in style and quality to what Scotts were producing in the 1960s.

And an unusual colour shade, too.

At the moment it's a bargain, and to buy new would be three to four times the price.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    If fur fronts are a problem, how about this one.?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196481180371

It has a few tell-tale elements that suggest W. E. Scott of Edinburgh could be the maker, but it's not one I remember seeing in their catalogues. No maker's mark, but very similar in style and quality to what Scotts were producing in the 1960s.

And an unusual colour shade, too.

At the moment it's a bargain, and to buy new would be three to four times the price.
    Yes it's a handsome sporran, but is it a tad small?

I'll try to reckon the overall size from the one ruler shot.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it's a handsome sporran, but is it a tad small?

I'll try to reckon the overall size from the one ruler shot.
    Looks to be just a touch over 7" in height. I'd say it's adult sized, but not one of the larger models.

Page 87 of 88 FirstFirst ... 377785868788 LastLast