X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 88 of 89 FirstFirst ... 387886878889 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    Looks to be just a touch over 7" in height. I'd say it's adult sized, but not one of the larger models.
    7½" to my eyes, Yeah. Agree. So would be fine, for a slim(er) person.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WE Scott brown day sporran with seal front, current bid $8, already in the USA (Rat Mouth, Florida).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18654357294...Bk9SR76u48ORZA

Written inside is John Nixon, Wayzata, Minnesota.

A quick Google came up with an obit which mentions two John Nixons, one of which was presumably a kilt wearer. The family has connexions to Newcastle-on-Tyne, the USA, and Australia.

https://www.startribune.com/obituaries/detail/9727238/
    Last edited by OC Richard; 7th July 24 at 01:20 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two sporrans, one by Margaret Morrison, one by WE Scott, for one dollar!

No bids yet...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17646781357...Bk9SR8CG5OGVZA
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s a bid now!! Bwahahahahaha! Thanks for the heads up OC!
    Last edited by wcsgorilla; 13th July 24 at 03:37 PM.
    Jim Sheaves - Clan Sinclair

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to wcsgorilla For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not in our brief, but rather a grab-your-popcorn sporran.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27655320311...Bk9SR56kuquXZA

It has the hinged cantle mechanism as was made by Frederick Narborough in German silver, silverplate, and Sterling silver.

And that's my main question: does the cantle bear Silver hallmarks?

Because that will have an impact on the final price.

If German silver/nickel-silver or silverplate I'm guessing it will go around $800. If Sterling probably over $1,000.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 16th July 24 at 01:52 AM.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Not in our brief, but rather a grab-your-popcorn sporran.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27655320311...Bk9SR56kuquXZA

It has the hinged cantle mechanism as was made by Frederick Narborough in German silver, silverplate, and Sterling silver.

And that's my main question: does the cantle bear Silver hallmarks?

Because that will have an impact on the final price.

If German silver/nickel-silver or silverplate I'm guessing it will go around $800. If Sterling probably over $1,000.
    Yes, that's another beauty.

But it's seal fur, so a bit of a risk getting it into the USA.

It would be a shame to see eBay pull its old 'banned-item-so-destroy-it' stunt again, but someone could get lucky...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OC, looks like those two are going to be out of my budget..

What is this “banned item so destroy it” bit?
    Jim Sheaves - Clan Sinclair

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wcsgorilla View Post
    OC, looks like those two are going to be out of my budget..

Check back over the past few posts, and you'll find OCRichard's account.

It seems that eBay has entered a competition with US Customs to see how draconian they can be when it comes to items they consider 'banned', and a beautiful, vintage hair sporran is the hapless victim.

Instead of returning the item to the seller with 'Sorry, but the item you are trying to sell is not accepted on our platform.' message, they accept it and then send it off for destruction. You would think it would be returned to the seller, but it seems destruction is the preferred option.

I seriously hope not, but I can see the same thing happening with this latest vintage sporran - and, as the fur is seal that has a long-standing ban in the USA, the risks are pretty high. If eBay fails in its destruction programme, US Customs probably will not.

If I were the seller, I would limit the shipping locations to countries less risky.

The European Union tried the same ban a few years ago, but Scotland managed to persuade them that the fur was an ages-old traditional material and an infringement of their rights, so got an exemption. But I would be very doubtful if the EU is still so understanding, post-Brexit.

My reasoning is based on experience. I recently sent a package to an address in Amsterdam, and, from here in Aberdeenshire, delivery should have been made in 48-72 hours - which had been normal. The item was detained by Dutch customs, who gave my Dutch recepient the reason - they now hold anything from the UK for 30 days, to demonstrate how Brexit has failed..!

So you can guess how a 'banned' item would now be treated.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wcsgorilla View Post

It would be aggravating enough if Ebay's UK Global Shipping Program people did what they claim to do: seize items deemed to be "restricted" and destroy them. The buyer is refunded their money but the seller gets neither their item back, nor compensation.

But it's worse than that. Ebay's GSP people don't destroy the items, they put them up for sale in an auction of "undeliverable mail" even though the packages have both the delivery address and return address.

In short, it's a scam. It's selling stolen goods. Which I couldn't imagine to have existed until it happened to me.

The only good to have come out of it is that now the original seller is fully informed about what happened to the sporran he tried to send me, and I've told the tale on various media platforms.

Oh, and the sporran in question was horsehair. Horsehair sporrans are shipped from the UK to the US every day.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 17th July 24 at 05:49 AM.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a very interesting sporran, though a style I have little interest in.

It's the sporran which, in some serendipity of fate, would become probably the best-selling sporran style of all time.

In the 1990s style-leading Grade One bands started going to these, and by the 2000s and 2010s I would see all but two or three of the G1 bands at the Worlds wearing them.

Indeed I saw many contests at all levels where every band was wearing them.

WE Scott, Nicoll Brothers, and others in Scotland, L&M in Nova Scotia, and endless makers in Pakistan were making these. Ian Grant had their own twist on the style.

But this Ebay one, by WE Scott, is probably the earliest I've seen. (I'm talking about the ubiquitous black & chrome ones; I've seen ones which appear older in brown with brass tops.)

The reason I think it's early is because it has the scribe-line which was part of WE Scott's Patent design which they introduced in 1953.

But it lacks the Patent stamp. Thing is, I don't know just when they stopped using the Patent stamp, and after that just when they stopped doing the scribe line.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13515242886...Bk9SR4KMj6yYZA

Page 88 of 89 FirstFirst ... 387886878889 LastLast