X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hose to Kilt Combo

Thoughts about best hose colour with the Angels Share tartan. The 16oz weave is a bit more amber than golden like the 13oz. Pic wouldn't load....sorry.
    Last edited by COScotsman; 12th July 24 at 04:12 PM. Reason: attempted to load photo
    "Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
    Remember the men from whom you are descended.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://thetartanartisan.com/pages/t...ky-tartan-kilt

Black/charcoal/gray, lovat blue, navy blue, brown/weathered brown/buffalo, gold/goldenrod/burnt yellow.

ETA: This is one case where "whatever ya got in the drawer" may not work. I'm looking at you claret and anything green.
    Last edited by MacKenzie; 12th July 24 at 05:23 PM.
    Tulach Ard

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The picture is attached to the thread. You'll have to go out to the forum level and click on the paper clip to the far right of the thread title. That will open a pop-up window with a link to the picture.

To post a pic in the thread, you need to use the 'Insert Image' button (2nd row, 4th group from left, third button from left) Browse to find the image, then click on 'upload file(s)' once the file is selected. Please be sure it's a small-ish file, 640x480 pixels or less.
    John

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COScotsman View Post
    Thoughts about best hose colour with the Angels Share tartan. The 16oz weave is a bit more amber than golden like the 13oz. Pic wouldn't load....sorry.
    Any colour you like, apart from white or black will be fine.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My standard advice is to avoid any of the tartan's main colours, in the accessories.

Looking at the photos (which as EagleJCS says is possible) I would say avoid at all costs the three colours that dominate the tartan: yellow, orange, and brown.

Being that black, white, and grey aren't colours they neither clash with nor compliment/coordinate with any tartan.

Thus the "safe" choice, as always, is grey. But if you do want to compliment the tartan the "safe" choice would be blue hose, being that blue looks to be the 3rd or 4th most prominent colour in the tartan.

Also we can turn to colour-theory: the tartan is more or less mustard yellow, blue and orange are complimentary colours. It's also good to get a warm/cool thing going: yellow and orange are 'warm' colours and blue is a 'cool' colour.

I'm with MacKenzie- a tartan as intense as this calls for restraint in the accessories.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 15th July 24 at 02:08 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just found that tartan. Did you already purchase one ?

Did it fit as expected ?

I like the story and the look very much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CBH View Post
    i just found that tartan. Did you already purchase one ?

Did it fit as expected ?

I like the story and the look very much.

I have been on the waiting list for about a year now with The Tartan Artisan. Lochcarron is set to run the 16oz weight tartan sometime this month. Paid my deposit....just waiting the the start-up. Barbara Tewksbury is putting it together for me. Hoping to have it by St Andrews Day if all goes well.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to COScotsman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COScotsman View Post
    Barbara Tewksbury is putting it together for me. Hoping to have it by St Andrews Day if all goes well.
    Nice !!

So they sold you the tartan cloth ?

The web site said they had exclusive rights to sell the pattern, and did not appear to offer the option of cloth only.

Having your own tailor do the measurements (or use yours on file) and assembly would clearly be preferred to having Artistry try their own hand at the measurements you typed into the "Buy" page of the web site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice !!

So they sold you the tartan cloth ?

The web site said they had exclusive rights to sell the pattern, and did not appear to offer the option of cloth only.

Having your own tailor do the measurements (or use yours on file) and assembly would clearly be preferred to having Artistry try their own hand at the measurements you typed into the "Buy" page of the web site.

My original kilt maker here in the States retired during that wait time but thankfully I was able to find Barbara who was willing to work with TA to get the metre length for a kilt. I had my measurements ready to go from a recent kilt I had made last year.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The web site said they had exclusive rights to sell the pattern...
    Soon enough, if not already, they'll be weaving it in Pakistan in their nasty "acrylic wool".

They're a selling a Glen Affric knockoff already. It only took them a few weeks.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte