X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Kilt Owner

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada (OCONCAN)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkye View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome!
    There's a whole lot of accessories on the web. Rather overwhelming to know the difference in junk and quality goods. Any tips or recommendations especially jackets/vests are very much appreciated. I'm looking for a good source for a quality Prince Charlie for my wedding.

Slange!
    Darren
    ~Invictus Maneo
    "I Remain Unvanquished"
    I don't know who your kiltmaker in Victoria is, but there is a shop in town that carries a good selection of jackets. That way you'd be able to see and try things on "in person".
    "Touch not the cat bot a glove."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkye View Post
    Hello again everyone! So appreciative of the great feedback here. For the longest time i've been aware of typical ancient and modern tartan types including a third 'Hunting' version for some. For the first time, browsing Kilt USA website and I am noticing what appear to be kilt color/wool variants based on mills/weavers? Is that correct?
    Clans that had a mainly red or bright tartan as their 'clan tartan' often have a more sombre colour-way for their 'hunting tartan' that will often be mainly green or brown hues, so as to be more discreet in open country. Both of these are usually available in modern colours, that is, in deep, rich shades, and so-called ancient colours that are intended to replicated the milder tones of the old natural dyestuffs that were once used.

Additionally, you will see versions of the same setts in 'muted', 'weathered' or 'reproduction' colours that are fairly modern inventions intended to give the impression of cloths from a long-past era. It's just another fashion option, really.

Each of the tartan weaving mills have their own commercial preferences when it comes to colour shades and thread-counts in their version of the different setts - so that a medium-weight tartan in modern colours might have subtle differences in colour tone and size of sett when comparing like-for-like from different mills. So much so that experienced eyes can tell at a glance whether a cloth is by Lochcarron, or House of Edgar, or Marton Mills.

The different mills have formed their preferences over time, and that gives them their distinction, but it is important to remember that there is no right or wrong version of any sett - only a variety of options to please the customer.

I have had the good fortune to have ready hands-on access to an original sample book of the tartans produced by Wilsons of Bannockburn around 1840, which is a valuable reference when it comes to comparing colour shades and sett sizes with what is available now. Some weavers, such as Strathmore Woollen Company, whose sample book this is, have a range of tartans using Wilsons' old shades, and they are remarkably close to the original, even allowing for modern processes.

So what you have noticed in differences between mills is correct, and can best be seen when different samples of the same tartan are side-by-side. Swatch-books in a kiltmaker's shop is probably the easiest way to see all the versions together, unless you want to order samples from each of the mills. The feel, or 'handle' of the cloth is also important, as is the type of edge with which the material has been woven - the commercially-expedient 'tuck-in' edge is inferior in many ways to a proper kilting selvedge.

An alternative option to readily available cloth, is to have you own woven in colours, shades and thread-count of your own specification - which is not as prohbitively expensive as you might think. Well-worth looking into if you fancy something unique.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sound advice above. It should be placed somewhere here on this website in a prominent place as a permanent reference point.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So humble - thank you

I just want to thank everyone for your feedback! I'm learning how to navigate this site so pardon if i dont respond personally but i look forward to. There is clearly abundant knowledge here. Being impressed is by far an understatement.

God Speed and Warm Regards
    Darren Armstrong
    ~Invictus Maneo
    "I Remain Unvanquished"

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to BlueSkye For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my father's family used to work for the Armstrong car makers, and one of my earliest memories is of his glee at coming across an Armstrong Sidderley Sapphire. The connection was through his mother's side, the Wilsons.

I have a piece of Ancient Armstrong tartan in my stash which I bought with the intention of making it into a kilt in honour of the connection.
    I suspect that it was thanks to his family association with motors that my dad ended up working on aircraft engines as ground crew in the RAF during his time in the forces in WWII.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12