X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scouting tartan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Martin Mills can weave the PVS cloth. St Kildas/Gaelic Themes can make the kilts.

The cloth for around 20 meters is 80 GBP. It goes down the larger the weave.

I did this with one of my personal tartans. WOSM or whoever the registrant is will need to give permission.
    If Lochcarron is the registrant forget it.

I would go in with you for PVS cloth and let St Kildas handle the order (a little overhead).
    Marton Mills would contact the registrant.

The registrant's name is not part of the public information for the tartan. It does say prepared for weaving by Lochcarron.

For an 8yd kilt, St Kildas will charge 160gbp plus the cost of the cloth. 5 yard kilt would be 105GBP. It will be machine sewn and have a hem.

THe weaving process takes 4-5 months. Marton Mills requires 50% upfront to schedule the weave.

I contracted earlier this year for 40 meters directly with Marton Mills. The weave produced 37 meters.
    13 meters went to StKildas. I got 4 kilts out of it (2 8yd and 2 5yd). The rest is going to be used for home furnishings.

St Kildas is about to handle a 20 meter order for me for an experimental tartan.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AustinDiver For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scouting kilt

My eight yard kilt required 2.8 meters of cloth. I don't know how that works but I am sure the seamstress have mastered economy of construction. I think if I am going to the effort, I would go for the eight yard to have the best appearance. What does this work out to in total? I also have a contact on Facebook who might be interested which should help out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RGM1 View Post
    My eight yard kilt required 2.8 meters of cloth.

Interesting - I spoke to St Kilda a while back about making up a couple of kilts with some cloth I have - they said they would need 2.3 meters (double width for a 5 yard kilt (I assume twice that for single width and more for an 8 yard kilt).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Material length

My order for an 8 yard kilt included a fly, flashes, and a hidden apron pocket and I received some excess cloth. I would rather an allowance of extra material be included then come up short. I am quite happy with the result from USA kilts.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RGM1 View Post
    My eight yard kilt required 2.8 meters of cloth. I don't know how that works but I am sure the seamstress have mastered economy of construction. I think if I am going to the effort, I would go for the eight yard to have the best appearance. What does this work out to in total? I also have a contact on Facebook who might be interested which should help out.
    What amount of cloth did you order? 2.8m = 3.06 yds and so, assuming double-width cloth, that's roughly a 6yd kilt. 8yds = 7.3m single, or 3.65m double-width.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quantity of cloth

I did not order a quantity of cloth, I ordered a top of the line eight yard kilt. USA kilts has this line manufactured in Scotland. My order had a tag on it that mentioned the quantity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    Interesting - I spoke to St Kilda a while back about making up a couple of kilts with some cloth I have - they said they would need 2.3 meters (double width for a 5 yard kilt (I assume twice that for single width and more for an 8 yard kilt).
    I am on a Norway/Scotland cruise. An 8 yard kilt requires 3.7m of double width. I provided St Kilda 13m double width for 2 8yd and 2 5 yd kilts. They sent about 1meter back with the kilts. (Polyester VIscose)

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AustinDiver For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure if it is specific to Weblows, but isn't there already a fairly wide usage of the same tartan used in a Weblow neckerchief, which I think is Maclaren?

As for hose and flashes, for a scouting uniform, wouldn't bottle green hose and red flashes be the closest to a standard scout socks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFS1970 View Post
    I am not sure if it is specific to Weblows, but isn't there already a fairly wide usage of the same tartan used in a Weblow neckerchief, which I think is Maclaren?

As for hose and flashes, for a scouting uniform, wouldn't bottle green hose and red flashes be the closest to a standard scout socks?
    the tartan that the original inquirey was about is a custom comemerative tartan for the 2019 World Scout Jamboree.
    It could be available, by special weave.

Louisville, Kentucky, USA (38° 13' 11"N x 85° 37' 32"W gets you close)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Webelos (pronounced wee'-buh-lows, meaning WE'll BE LOyal Scouts) neckerchief tartan (or is it simply plaid?) is different from the MacLaren tartan. The Webelos tartan is made up of the blue and gold of the Cub Scout uniform, the red representing the Scouting program for 10-18 year old Scouts (formerly the Boy Scout program, but now it's co-ed) and the green representing the Venturing/Exploring program for 14-21 year old Scouts.

The Clan MacLaren Society of North America allows Scouters that have graduated from Wood Badge and received their beads to become associate (non-voting) members of the clan society and may wear the tartan.

(I'm a currently registered Scout leader in the Boy Scouts of America and was once a Webelos myself, many moons ago. I even pulled out my Webelos handbook to try to find what the colors represented, but it didn't say anything about them.)

'Standard' Scout socks for the uniform these days are close to an olive green throughout. The socks in the 1980's had red tops, but the long socks had elastic to keep them up and didn't require garters or flashes (I still have a couple pair). It's been decades since the long uniform socks called for them.

Webelos (image from the Scout Shop website):

MacLaren (image from Scotclans):
    Last edited by EagleJCS; 4th September 24 at 03:17 PM. Reason: added citations for the images
    John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast