X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilted in Japan!

My wife and I just came back from a wonderful - and exhausting - trip to the Land of the Rising Sun. This has always been a dream of mine since I was a kid back in the mid 1960s. I even would sit at the dinner table with my legs folded under me (which I still do at other occasions).

For this trip, I wore my green utility kilt most of the time! I was hesitant at first, not knowing how the Japanese people would respond, so I only brought one kilt. But when I saw that any response I got was basically curiosity, I went to wear the puppy almost every day. I did revert to short pants a time or two, but was sorry I did. Japan had a record heat wave this August, (with HIGH humidity), and the comfort contrast between pants and kilt really became evident.

Below are some photos of the trip.

The first photo show a preserved, ancient village in the mountains not far from Fujisan.

Trees get HUGE in Japan, and the second photo shows such.

In the next photo We visited Hiroshima, including the Peace Museum and park. What a heart breaker. Could not go through the museum without crying. Even now as I write this.... I know there are many facets to what happened and the bottom line is that no side is without its blame. The building in the picture was directly under the blast. (the bomb did not detonate at the surface, but 550 feet above). That is why the city is not still radioactive.

Our departure from Tokyo was delayed 3 days by typhoon Ampil, but that only gave us more time to explore. Our APA hotel was located right next to the biggest Sumo arena in Japan, but no matches until September. There was a definite Sumo theme in the hotel and area around. We also got to visit the 2000 feet high Sky Tree in Tokyo.

Also in Tokyo, I got to visit a shop that sells exclusively fundoshis. The white logo on the front door glass gives a hint as to what I am referring to. I am also squatted down in front of shelves containing hundreds of colored fundoshis. This is pretty much a "guy thing", so when the owner saw me and my wife coming into his small shop he was quick to warn us what it was about. I had already seen this shop months before online, so I knew. Fundoshi is very old, traditional mens underwear. I found out a long time ago that Hanes and Calvin Klein can't compete with these, IF you get the ecchu type. Anyhow, I was like a kid in a candy shop.

When we got back home, we were both exhausted and jet lagged. But what an adventure! And I got to do it kilted!

Old Preserved Village

Me By Tree

Hiroshima Bomb Dome

Elsa & I By Temple

Tokyo Sumo Arena

Sumo Painting in Hotel

Tokyo Sky Tree

Fundoshi Shop Logo

Fundoshis Galore!
    "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord....." Psalm 33:12

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Norm For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great trip! We lived in Tokyo for a couple of years and in Hatsukaichi-shi (Hiroshima pref) for a total of 8 years. This was in the 90's. Love the people and culture. Wasn't kilting then. What reactions did you get from the locals?
    "Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
    Remember the men from whom you are descended.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to COScotsman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OOh sumo - I've been a fan since channel 4 showed it back in the last century - when chiyonofuji was yokozuna.
    I watch the highlights curtesy of the internet.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COScotsman View Post
    Sounds like a great trip! We lived in Tokyo for a couple of years and in Hatsukaichi-shi (Hiroshima pref) for a total of 8 years. This was in the 90's. Love the people and culture. Wasn't kilting then. What reactions did you get from the locals?
    A few asked me about my kilt, a few gave a quick glance, but nothing more. As hot as it was, I hope that my kilt put a bug in their ear to give it a try, maybe start a trend. During a tea ceremony, the older Japanese gentleman who dressed me and my friend in kimono was curious about my kilt, and really surprised and delighted to see I was wearing traditional Japanese shorts (fundoshi). He later told the rest of the staff. A little embrace of a culture seems to really break the ice. My only regret was not bringing a couple more kilts. I just did not know how people would respond.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    OOh sumo - I've been a fan since channel 4 showed it back in the last century - when chiyonofuji was yokozuna.
    I watch the highlights curtesy of the internet.

Anne the Pleater
    Seems like the only difference between sumo and football is that sumo has no ball. Both abound in bodily collisions. Don’t see sumo on tv here where I live in cowboy/ranching culture. But I was impressed by Japanese respect, courtesy and graciousness. Like a breath of fresh air. It was a wonderful trip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    A few asked me about my kilt, a few gave a quick glance, but nothing more. As hot as it was, I hope that my kilt put a bug in their ear to give it a try, maybe start a trend. During a tea ceremony, the older Japanese gentleman who dressed me and my friend in kimono was curious about my kilt, and really surprised and delighted to see I was wearing traditional Japanese shorts (fundoshi). He later told the rest of the staff. A little embrace of a culture seems to really break the ice. My only regret was not bringing a couple more kilts. I just did not know how people would respond.
    I was impressed to see some all Japanese pipe bands while living in Tokyo. They were quite proficient and worn the kilt well.
    "Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
    Remember the men from whom you are descended.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to COScotsman For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Seems like the only difference between sumo and football is that sumo has no ball. Both abound in bodily collisions. Don’t see sumo on tv here where I live in cowboy/ranching culture. But I was impressed by Japanese respect, courtesy and graciousness. Like a breath of fresh air. It was a wonderful trip.
    I think I used Goole to look for the sumo tournaments.
    I have to rewatch as I miss the action through being distracted by the umpires gorgeous costumes.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking quite good.

My wife and I are heading out on a long road trip next weekend - literally coast to coast. It will be similar to one we did last September and will like be about three weeks. I plan to take one pair of shorts, no jeans or pants and four kilts - 2 Utility (black and black/gray tartan) and two casual kilts (one by USA Kilts and one by SportKilt, with pockets).

If you are too busy to laugh, you are too busy.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Couper For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Japan is VERY hot and humid in the summer. I am sure the kilt was noticably more comfortable than shorts in the climate.

Hiroshima is an experience that will make you think deeply about the cruelty of war and question the "humanity" of humanity. It's fascinating to realize that two of the streetcars running in the city today were on duty the day the bomb fell!

I lived in China for 11 years and wore the kilt pretty regularly. People were often quite curious, and certainly wanted to take pictures with me. But no one was ever rude, although many did have questions. The kilt is definitely a source of relief in the muggy summer heat of Southern China. They all associate kilts with Scotland, and you will often hear them saying "Segulan" (Chinese for "Scotland") as you pass by kilted.

Although I have visited Japan several times, I never wore the kilt there. Most of my Japanese journeys have been in the winter, when being bundled up against the chill was a primary concern.

Although I have I have a couple of yukata (summer kimono), with the appropriate tabi socks and zori sandals, I don't have any Japanese-style underwear. To be honest, I had trouble finding my size in Japanese shops, as I am 6'3" and 200+ pounds. But i always found the country beautiful and fascinating, the people polite and kind, and the food delicious.

Andrew
    Last edited by kingandrew; 6th September 24 at 10:33 PM. Reason: corrected spelling errors

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pretty cool

It looks like a great trip,

18. The Following User Says 'Aye' to grizzbass For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast