X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scouting tartan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope that you’re all aware that this discussion describes Scouting in the USA and is not about Scouting internationally. Other countries have their own Scouting norms and traditions.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WSJ tartan

The WSJ 2019 tartan was designed to recognize the north American scouting organizations sponsoring the event which included Canada, Mexico, and the USA.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to RGM1 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scout socks

Knee socks are a thing of past in US scouting. I regularly wear a military green knee sock to which I have added flashes, sometimes red and sometimes orange. The orange relates to the Varsity scout program which I used for many years to promote high adventure activities. My varsity team was active until 2021 when they finally submitted Mount Baldy at Philmont. Program went away in 2018, however a variety of complications meant crew was unable to complete its final ultimate adventure until 2021. Hike On!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RGM1 View Post
    The WSJ 2019 tartan was designed to recognize the north American scouting organizations sponsoring the event which included Canada, Mexico, and the USA.
    Understood, but discussion of uniform, programmes etc. do vary rather widely and wildly between nations, and even then, North America is only a portion of the worldwide movement.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RGM1 View Post

The 2019 WSJ was an international event with international staff. I worked with English, Dutch, Japanese , etc
    I suppose Nova Scotia and US had influence. The tartan was registered for the international event.

2 of the colors came from the three host countries flags. 1 of those colors is also in the WOSM.
    The tartan has 4 other colors for a total of 6.

The WSJ 2019 was more than about the 3 host countries. I came home with neckerchiefs from Africa, Ireland and Scotland.

From the Tartan Registry:

The 24th World Scout Jamboree 2019 is an officially sanctioned event of the World Organization of the Scouting Movement (WOSM), with young people from 163 National Scouting Organisations representing more than 200 nations and territories taking part. Colours: red, the base colour of the tartan, appearing in all 3 host country flags, represents fire and blood, associated with energy and strength; white also appears in the flags and the WOSM logo and is associated with light, goodness and purity; green, the colour of nature symbolises growth and harmony and Scouting's commitment to the environment; blue, the colour of the sky and sea, another link to the environment, symbolises trust, loyalty, wisdom, faith and truth, all elements of the Scout Law; purple represents WOSM and its worldwide membership and is associated with wisdom, dignity, independence, creativity, mystery and magic; yellow represents sunshine and is associated with joy, happiness, intellect and energy.
    Last edited by AustinDiver; 8th September 24 at 01:41 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123