X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting set - I was going to do a little research, but they were gone/sold by the time I saw this!

Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Ian Murray bagpipes, full imitation ivory, Sterling Silver slides, with an astonishingly low $700 Buy It Now.

I don't know anything about Ian Murray pipes. Why are these priced so low? They won't last long, I assume.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14600748622...=4%7C10&edge=0

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WalesLax View Post
    interesting set - I was going to do a little research, but they were gone/sold by the time I saw this!
    I figured as much!

I almost hit the Buy-It-Now button myself, and I don't know anything about Ian Murray pipes, nor do I need another set!

I did hit the BIN button yesterday however, a Lochcarron-labelled tweed Argyll jacket in my size for $35.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like he learned pipe making from the Gillanders family, so I imagine his pipes would be along the lines of them.

Whoever got those got them for a song, and could probably easily turn around and sell them for twice the price.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YOJiMBO20 View Post

Looks like he learned pipe making from the Gillanders family, so I imagine his pipes would be along the lines of them.
    On that topic, it's interesting how much the Highland pipemaking world has changed over the last 20 years or so.

Back in the 1970s and 1980s I was struck by the huge difference between the way Highland pipe makers and Baroque flute makers talked about their design process and advertised their products.

Baroque flutemakers had the attitude that it's not up to modern makers and players to impose their opinions upon the instruments, rather, it's up to the makers to find the best-surviving original instruments that exist and copy them as exactly as possible, and up to the players to play either original instruments or the best copies and let the instruments inform them how they want to played and how they want to sound.

A Baroque flutemaker's catalogue would list a series of different models, each a painstaking copy of a specific and named 200-year-old original.

In the Highland piping world all the good players played pipes made from around 1890 to around 1930. This suggested that they didn't think highly of modern pipes. Many made statements to that effect.

Coming from the Baroque flute world it just seemed crazy. The best players are telling you what the best instruments are! Why not painstakingly copy them? Have a catalogue that lists your copies of various named original pipes.

But no, the pipemakers of 1970s and 1980s all seemed to be trying to re-invent the wheel. Beyond that, there was never anything said about their design process.

At that time I was trying to find out who made the most accurate reproductions of vintage Henderson pipes but contacting various makers got me nowhere. Nobody seemed to want to discuss their designs.

Instead, I kept getting "well you know that __________ (current pipemaker) did their apprenticeship under __________ (old maker)".

Which doesn't tell you anything. Because you could play and examine a pipe by _________ (current pipemaker) and compare it side-by-side with a pipe by _____________ (old maker) and find that they're completely different both in specs and in sound.

Which isn't to say that some pipemakers didn't continue to make pipes with the exact specs of the old firm they did their apprenticeship with back in the 1940s or whatever, I'm sure some did, but it can be demonstrated that some didn't.

Now things have come full circle and several current pipemakers are doing exactly what the Baroque flutemakers have long done.

We can buy a set of new pipes based on Con Houlihan's 1924 Hendersons, or based on John MacDonald's 1860 MacDougalls, or based on Stuart Liddell's MacRaes, and several others.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 8th September 24 at 08:21 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122