X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

110 year old advice that still holds good...

This article from The Graphic is dated August 1913 - but the sentiments expressed, and the kilt-wearing advice given still holds good today.

In fact, it reads like it could have been written a year ago, let alone 110 years ago!

So take note, and amend your ways accordingly...

Attachment 43813

The article and images may be familiar to some on this forum, but what catches my eye is the example shown far right in the four recommended styles, for those knees belong to none other than my late clan chief. Note the sporran and unique kilt-pin - which is a souvenir of his time commanding his battalion of Seaforths in Egypt in 1900.

How can I be sure?

This second picture shows our hero full length, and again shows the same kilt-pin and sporran in a casual posed portrait. But note Sir Hector's style.

daf5143c54e9bf2124ce7805065b5adc.jpg

Sure, it's a-la-kiltie-mode from the early years of last century, but (apart from his wing-collar, and maybe even with that) he would fit right it at any Highland Games today. In fact, I saw one or two fine gents sporting equally stylish outfits at Lonach a few weekends ago, where the Highlanders' march through Strathdon, and parade in the ring, encourages other kilties to strut their stylish stuff.

And it's good to know that Sir Hector's old bits of kit are still in regular use today, as the younger generations are still running with the baton, so to speak.

Do you notice the excessive amount of cloth in the army kilt's rise? But nothing a good pair of tailor' shears couldn't solve.

Jings..! I'm not surprised the poor Jocks preferred trews for barrack duties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The link doesn’t seem to be working.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's puzzling why some pictures load as images, while others fail when from the same sorce.

Anyway, those 1913 pictures really only hint at what the full colour effect would have been, so here is the kilt and pin as it can be see today. Different sporran, though, but that's a beauty in its own right.

HM kilt 2.jpg

6. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My chief has confirmed my eagle-eyed observations, and tells me the sporran shown in the 1913 picture is still being worn by the current generation, and that there is a supply of more such old Highland dress stashed away in his castle attic.

I would say that attic sounds like an ideal target for a stealth raid by kiltie commandos, as there should be some rich pickings..!

But that's the advantage of 30 or more generations inhabiting the same home for 1,000 years - quality items tend to get kept. I wonder how many should-be-in-a-museum items are languishing away in attics, unused and forgotten.

What we need is a kind of Monuments Men team to search them out, track them down and let us see pictures - like the art-world does with private collections of Old Masters.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a way to make the article clearer? I would love to read it but the text is very hard to read.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted2000 View Post
    Is there a way to make the article clearer? I would love to read it but the text is very hard to read.
    There are no doubt technical reasons, but when images are unloaded, they seem to loose quality and clarity. This article is another such victim...

However, the essence of the article is that Highland dress as it is now worn is hateful to those obliged to wear it (ie, soldiers), and the civilian version is little better.

It suggests reducing the amount of material in the kilt, reintroduce long hose for barrack duties, and issue decent leather sporrans instead of the awful hairy things now worn.

Also, it tells us that certain leading figures - Lord Lovat, Lord Seafield, The Macintosh, and Lochiel - got their heads together at the Inverness Kilt Society (no doubt the fore-runner of this forum) to draw up the ...rules for the correct wearing of Highland costume.

So, you see lads, there are 'rules'.

And these include: the bottom of the kilt is to touch the centre of the kneecap... The hose are to be worn one inch higher than the centre of the calf. And that there should be about the breadth of a hand bewteen the two.

Got that..?

Good.

Now let's see how many meet the approved standard, now we've had more than 100 years to practice.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    I would say that attic sounds like an ideal target for a stealth raid by kiltie commandos, as there should be some rich pickings..!
    A raid into Munro territory? Now that would be an astounding bit of turnabout!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    A raid into Munro territory? Now that would be an astounding bit of turnabout!
    It's been done before..!

Just ask any Mackenzie for tactics and strategy advice - they might even come along for the fun, as they know the lie of the land, and where the rich pickings are to be found..!

But just remember I have first dibs on anything found in the box marked 'Sporrans'.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post: