X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeing double with a knotted kilt-pin

Now, I know some of you out there have a thing about kilt-pins, and the mere mention of them brings on a desire to commit a crime against humanity - so, if you're one of that number, you should stop reading now...

But here's a strange turn of events...

This brass knotted kilt-pin has been gracing a certain kilt of mine for many years, and it the only one of it's kind I have ever seen.

Almost, that is.

Several years ago, I chanced upon a sterling silver version being offered for sale by someone in Carolina, but I failed to take up the offer at the time and have somewhat regretted my foolishness ever since.

Fate obviously sees me as something of a special-needs case, so, just last week, an internet search for something else produced at random the same silver pin. I had all but forgotten about it, but Fate had now got me by the ear and was making me note that it was still for sale. And at a fair price.

What's wrong with you lot in the US..? What have you been doing for the past ten years? Why have none of you bought it..?

Well, although Fate sees me as some kind of slow-learner and half-witted, when she drags me by the ear to look at the still-for-sale listing, I like to think I am bright enough to realise what she's on with.

So, a quick tap on the add-to-basket button and a short wait for USPS to do its thing, the pin is in now my possession - repatriated and returned to its homeland.

There are two curious elements to these pins. One is the knot design which must require a fair amount of skill to execute so neatly, and the other is that they are made from one single rod or wire that is pulled, stretched and tapered to create an elegant catch fastening.

The two are not identical, as the brass one measures three and a half inches, and the silver one four and a half, with the knots being 'tied' in opposite directions.

As to age and date of manufacture I have to guess for the brass one, but the silver one has London Assay marks for 1932. I wonder if they were made by the same skilled hands.

DSCF6988.jpg DSCF6990.jpg

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really get too excited about kilt pins, one way or another. However, I am really glad that "Fate" knocked on your door, again.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 21st September 24 at 03:33 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are interesting, I don't think I've seen such a thing.

Glad that you were able to acquire it!

I don't know how many times I've passed on something, only to never see its like again.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte