X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's something for those who like vintage Highland dress

Highland Threads is something of a shop-window for small regional musems in Scotland - essentially the Highlands - with some nice historic items on display.

This -

https://highlandthreads.co.uk/strathnaver-museum

is a rather fine example of a Balmoral bonnet, and the video shows excellent detail of its construction and form. I only wish the inside could be seen.

The rear ribbon attachement method is exactly the the same as that on my own bonnet - which is probably not far off in age - but I have mine tied in a bow Highland-style, rather than trailing - which is said to the be traditional Lowland mode.

Highland Threads has plenty to inspire, and could make up a comprehensive list for where to visit to see real Highland history and culture.

2. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A brilliant example, indeed. Superb shaping, as well. Most of the time when you see these displayed, they're pulled and turned at all sorts of odd angles, but this is beautifully modeled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    A brilliant example, indeed. Superb shaping, as well. Most of the time when you see these displayed, they're pulled and turned at all sorts of odd angles, but this is beautifully modeled.
    I thought you'd like it..!

But is it as good as your own vintage 'museum quality' bonnet?

I know which one I'd rather have..!

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

JPS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the bonnet a Mackie? Might well have been.

The cap-badge is that classic style that's been made throughout the 20th century by dozens of different jewellers, endlessly re-cast so it seems.

I do wonder who did the original sculpts, and when.

Here's various iterations of that style from various time-periods. Some of the re-casts have had one or more of the grommets removed, but when present they have a tell-tale arrangement. Also quite distinctive are the buckle and the chape.

BTW in the photo of the younger William MacDonald his belt-plate is the style seen in at least one early 20th century catalogue.

Here it is, number 0102

I used to own a set of that pattern, and eventually picked up the matching plaid brooch on Ebay. There was a matching sporran cantle too, which did once come up on Ebay but was too pricey for me.

Though almost certainly a civilian pattern, at some point it was adopted for the Pipe Major of the Royal Scots Greys (later Royal Scots Dragoon Guards)

Oddly, the mannequin-displayed uniform of the Major of the 4th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders has the Sam Browne belt on back-to-front.

Here's how it would have been worn

Last edited by OC Richard; 22nd September 24 at 02:37 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Oddly, the mannequin-displayed uniform of the Major of the 4th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders has the Sam Browne belt on back-to-front.
    I noticed that - and not just back to front, but upside-down too..!

I wrote to the museum in the hope that they will correct the faux-pas.

But it beats me how anyone could have got something so fundamental that badly wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Is the bonnet a Mackie?
    I'm not sure about the bonnet - and many of the earlier ones have no maker's label of markings.

The bonnet I usually wear is an old Lovat Scouts' dark blue with diced band, and the construction is interesting, as it is heavily reinforced with a tough hessian-like interlining. But no indication to date or manufacturer.

The hessian responds well to shaping and moulding when steamed (or dampened) so the bonnet can be formed to the wearer's desire, and so that the diced portion can be shaped to take on the contours of the head for a perfect all-round fit.

The hessian then holds its new form when cool and dry again (it must have somekind of paste or startch dressing) and so the felted outer follows suit. This also means the diced band remains straight and vertical, and is in no danger of curling in the way some do.

I also have a similarly constructed blue bonnet (never worn) of the same kind of age as the Lovat Scouts' one, but this is much shallower. It has the same hessian in the crown, and also running as a band about and inch and a half wide all the way around.

This has the same effect as the stiffened diced banding, but at about half the depth, so the bonnet wants to sit much higher on the head and somewhat flatter - so almost identical to the one one show at Strathnaver - which means attaching a bonnet-badge is very tricky if you want it to remain upright. It naturally wants to hang sideways under the crown, and so the diced band has the advantage here.

Both bonnets are lined in a strong, hard-wearing cotton drill.

The Mackie bonnets have a lovely, luxurious felt and silky lining, but a softer interlining, which seems to allow Mackie's to be steamed, soaked, shrunk and moulded nicely, but they lack the stiffness of the old ones.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    I thought you'd like it..!

But is it as good as your own vintage 'museum quality' bonnet?

I know which one I'd rather have..!
    Now that's a choice I'm thankful I don't have to make. Willie's bonnet will be fit perfectly to his head and his personal style, as my bonnet has become to mine.

Still, I can't deny the elegant simplicity of the 'Guids' bonnet.