X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Classic kilt style - as seen at large this summer in Scotland

AC, SB, ZH kilted.jpg

How about this trio..?

As seen cutting their respective dashes at a Highland games in Scotland this summer. And there were plenty of other such kilties at large, making these the norm and no exception.

A pleasing lot to admire, and much to envy, with three styles of classic kilt-hose and vintage-style sporrans to compliment a healthy mix of tweeds.

They look as if they have just stepped off the pages of Classic Highland Dress - an illustrated guide of how to wear it. I'm not sure if such a book exists, but it looks as if it might be a good one to have in the library under 'Popular Favourites'.

So what do we think, lads..?

Good style? Done well? What would you add, subract or change altogether..?

2. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    an impressive display of Hose, Tweed, & Tartan. I've never been a fan of the full-face sporran, but that one is perfect with the rest of the kit.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to spr0k3t For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably the first time I have been studying the hosen and jacket/waistcoat combinations before the kilts - ever.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another example.

20240927_232707.jpg

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Another example.

20240927_232707.jpg
    Which is even better on all counts..!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am afraid I must differ, to my rather conservative mind, the patterned hose and fancy day sporrans are overdoing things a tad. Fine for some day events, but for me they are rather unnecessary, particularly for general day attire, these days.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 28th September 24 at 04:26 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

11. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I am afraid I must differ, to my rather conservative mind, the patterned hose and fancy day sporrans are overdoing things a tad. Fine for some day events, but for me they are rather unnecessary, particularly for general day attire, these days.
    I wondered when you would chime in with that. I also wondered what day event would require that level of decor.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

13. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Could this have been one of those day events they would have been fine for..?

The wondrous sporran being sported by the gent on the right looks like a museum piece, and the badger-mask is something of a classic, too.

Are they necessary as in vital for the success of the event? Who can really say, but a Highland Games is one of the occasions when a man can indulge in a bit of show, rather than dressing down.

Personally, I like to see a man making the effort, and would much rather see this kind of thing on a daily basis, than the ubiquitous denim jeans and hideous hoodie.

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I wondered when you would chime in with that. I also wondered what day event would require that level of decor.
    I would say it's nothing out of the ordinary (well, certainly not extraordinary) if what I saw at different Highland Games this past summer is anything to go by.

Perhaps we're seeing a resurgence of more interesting styles, than the toned-down mode that upset the old Lord Lyon in the mid-years of last century.

Going kilted with elan is the way forward..!

17. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its a question of degree and personal choice. But...... but, I really do think that care needs to be taken with what and when certain items of kilt attire are worn. I know that one member of this website will not be pleased with what I am going to say, but the dangers of "over-egging the cake" with our attire choices does encourage the rather outrageous kilt attire choices that we see on this website all to often. To be fair, they are not seen as often, on the website, as they used to be. But, toning down the more flamboyant kilt attire, as shown in the first post in this thread is best left in the past, in my humble opinion.

So, to my mind, care needs to be taken with our attire choices. Its not a question of right or wrong with most of our choices, but it is a question of making our attire choices so that we wear those kilt attire choices "to best effect" to fit our chosen event, with relevance to today.

Harking back to the more romantic kilt attire choices is all very well, but we have moved on . Trying to revive those dated attire choices is a personal choice for us all for sure, but for me, those frivolous days are gone and best left in the past.

That does not mean, by any means, that we cannot dress in our kilt attire smartly and appropriately, but, we can do it without leading us into frivolous and unnecessary territory.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 29th September 24 at 04:37 AM. Reason: found my glasses.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

19. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast