X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dfcolfer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question dfcolfer

Good morning All, I just joined the group and am enjoying reading all the posts and exploring the suggested links. I currently own one Kilt a reproduction MOD in Black Watch Tartan from "What Price Glory". I am shopping for a second to represent my Irish Heritage.
    The kilt from WPG is well made from very heavy 22 oz wool. The only issues I found is with the the double prong buckles. They are flimsy stamped metal and the second time I strapped on my kilt one of the buckles snapped. I have looked all over the Net to find a replacement buckle and only place I could find them was from "Wyedean" the buckles were a little steep at $9.00 each but the shipping was just outrageous at $32. Does anyone out there know where I can get these at a reasonable price and without paying an arm and a leg for shipping?

Thanks,

"Riamh nár dhruid ó spairn lann"
    Who never retreated from the clash of spears".
    Last edited by dfcolfer0417; 26th September 24 at 10:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from Northeastern Colorado! I know that JHiggins carries replacement buckles and straps for kilts. Here:https://www.jhiggins.net/replacement...chrome-buckle/. Hopefully this is something that will help. Again, welcome!
    "Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
    Remember the men from whom you are descended.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the "Great Rabble"!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum from Alberta!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from a Scotsman living in the English Midlands.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dfcolfer0417 View Post
    Good morning All, I just joined the group and am enjoying reading all the posts and exploring the suggested links. I currently own one Kilt a reproduction MOD in Black Watch Tartan from "What Price Glory". I am shopping for a second to represent my Irish Heritage.
    The kilt from WPG is well made from very heavy 22 oz wool. The only issues I found is with the the double prong buckles. They are flimsy stamped metal and the second time I strapped on my kilt one of the buckles snapped. I have looked all over the Net to find a replacement buckle and only place I could find them was from "Wyedean" the buckles were a little steep at $9.00 each but the shipping was just outrageous at $32. Does anyone out there know where I can get these at a reasonable price and without paying an arm and a leg for shipping?

Thanks,

"Riamh nár dhruid ó spairn lann"
    Who never retreated from the clash of spears".
    It sounds as if you have hit upon the problem of buying replica items, instead of the original.

Replicas are usually a faithful copy, and, in most ways, as good as the original - but when good-as-the-original items such as buckles are no longer readily available, compromises have to be made, and this is sometimes done for the sake of cost alone.

These -

https://wyedeanstores.com/products/r...39837884907613

- appear to be nearly identical to the original two-prong buckles used on WD (MoD) kilts, except that the listing tells us they are black coated nickel. The originals are brass.

They look as if they are cast, not pressed metal, like the brass originals, and at the price seem to be good value, and Wyedean Stores have a good reputation for quality. If you can stand the cost of shipping, these are the ones to go for.

Alternatively, you can forego the two-prong replicas on your kilt, and replace them with the more usual single-prong style, in nickel or chrome. You could even consider brass buckles. You would need to replace the leather straps so as to accept the single prong buckle.

If you can find a cheap original army kilt (there are plenty of torn and moth-eaten available) you could salvage the buckles and transfer them to your new kilt, but you then have the cost of purchase and shipping to consider - which makes the Wyedean offering perhaps more attractive.

It may be worth contacting Robert Macdonald at https://www.westcoastkilts.com/ who, I understand, renovates/repairs Canadian military kilts. He may have old spares he could send your way. Any advice he gives you would be well-worth taking, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or you might try a craft shop that sells leather works, or even a flea market.
    It might take a while, but I'm sure you will find something that works.
    B.D. Marshall
    Texas Convener for Clan Keith

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure to check with our advertisers and sponsors. Some of them may have them available or be able to recommend sources.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast