X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Far be it for me to suggest this, but grouse claw kilt pins are rather "old hat" and not as popular as they were, I am afraid, within certain "conservation groups" these days. If it were me, I think I would choose something else. Just saying.
    Thanks Jock ... I may well let sleeping grouse claws lie!

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ronmack For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    ...Grouse Claw kilt pins are rather "old hat" and not as popular as they were, within certain "conservation groups" these days.
    Right you are, I had a Badger Full Mask sporran and discovered that I really couldn't wear it anywhere. While it fascinated children it horrified and disgusted many adults.

I suppose I could have doubled-down on the dead creature thing and worn the Badger sporran and a Grouse Claw kilt pin!

You're also bang-on about the decline in popularity. Old catalogues always feature Grouse Claw kilt pins, and when I started kilt-wearing (1970s) I saw men wearing them all the time. I haven't seen anybody wear one around here in ages.

It's interesting to go back to the early 20th century and see the only kilt pins shown by a major Highland Outfitter (Fraser Ross) being the plain "blanket pin" and the Grouse Claw.

Last edited by OC Richard; 3rd October 24 at 02:13 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a couple of grouse foot kilt pins. A significant advantage is that they go undetected through airport security.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    I have a couple of grouse foot kilt pins. A significant advantage is that they go undetected through airport security.
    I have a grouse claw pin too - an indication of being a bit long in the tooth perhaps.

It is also showing its age, it is not as fluffy as it used to be.

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear grouse claw pins almost exclusively and will continue to do so. Some people have registered their dismay at wearing an animal body part but then I notice their leather shoes.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to PiperPadre For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Right you are, I had a Badger Full Mask sporran and discovered that I really couldn't wear it anywhere. While it fascinated children it horrified and disgusted many adults.
    I’d say that varies by location… I often wear mask sporrans to Highland games (muskrat, raccoon, badger, fox or bobcat). I get lots of compliments from adults and questions from kids, but never disapproval. Thankfully, folks in Texas see lots of taxidermy and whatnot and seem less squeamish about it than what you’ve experienced in California!

Cheers,

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

11. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hold on a tad, chaps! What we choose to wear with our kilt as accessories is an entirely personal choice. Yes! Some will not like our choices for many different reasons.

For me, who has probably shot more grouse, deer and general wildlife than most and should I muster enough puff, I have every intention in shooting a few more should I get the chance. I have no regrets in doing so and if others choose to follow my lead then, that is up to them.

However many years ago I came to the conclusion that full mask sporrans, animal hair sporrans, grouse foot kilt pins, deer foot SD handles etc., were unnecessary and upsetting to some and unpalatable for me. From then on there were many quality bits of kilt attire that I could wear lurking in the wardrobe without draping myself with animal bits. The rest was passed on to anyone in the family who did not share my misgivings. I also came to the conclusion at the same time that fancy tassels, metal cantles and sporran chains were also rather unnecessary too.

Those were my choices made without any pressure from anyone and I think made before the "bunny hugger" brigade started making noises. As I have more than once on this website said,"if you like it, then wear it"---------its a choice that we all have.

A wee postscript. Someone will come up with the question, "what about leather"? A fair question. I have no problem with leather, particularly with the hair removed. IF its a by product from a sustainable source. Much of it is.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 6th October 24 at 12:07 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hairy sporrans

I have considered the full face sporrans a bit too much, but see little difference between leather and fur considering their origins both require an animal to die.

If someone were to comment, I would be inclined to look at their feet and ask what kind of leather.

I am considering a beaver sporran for dressy occasions.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234