X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I don't recall ever seeing a boater being worn, out in the wild, with the kilt.

I used to wear a boater at school and at times, at University. I have to say I was amongst many who did not find them easy or, comfortable to wear as they had no "give" in them. They were substantially made and they did take a considerable beating in our hands, and soon became rather tatty. Much to the dismay of the Headmaster, or Chancellor.
    Got any pictures of young Jock in a boater? I'd love to see one or two!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do recall one or two "boater pictures" lurking about a long time ago, but goodness knows where they are. Should I bump into one, well, I shall then have to get the hang of coping with the mysteries of posting pictures on the internet! So, don't be holding your breath!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do recall one or two "boater pictures" lurking about a long time ago, but goodness knows where they are. Should I bump into one, well, I shall then have to get the hang of coping with the mysteries of posting pictures on the internet! So, don't be holding your breath!
    That would be fun, Jock. You have my E-mail, I think, so if it becomes problematic, and you'd send it along, I'd be pleased to upload for you, you natty young man!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right then Bill, the hunt is on! Goodness knows what I might find? I think Gloucestershire might be the place to start!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    And your verdict..?

Or is the jury still out?
    The overall effect is certainly a couple of notches above the usual attire - even in kilts which tend to elevate the game somewhat.
    I do find that when putting on a kilt I make different choices - particularly in what shoes to wear.

These days I even put on the replacement Tilley hat I was sent after the old one wore out. I think that puts me into the 'officially old' category for all purposes. You can't really argue with having worn out a Tilley hat as an indication of age creeping up on you.
    I still cling to the old one - even though it looks a bit disreputable these days. Some people display images of their spirit animal, I wear my spirit hat.
    I do have some fairly fancy hose, but I only wear them with ankle length garments for fear of frightening the horses....

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... pictures of the kilted “ Jock” wearing a panama or a fore and aft. Perhaps they still exist?
    Here's one with a Panama.

100_1045-1.jpg

9. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Arnot For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234