X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukbrand View Post
    I'm 6'5" tall, I might be waiting for awhile. Is ebay the only place for military kilts?
    There are many army-surplus outlets in the UK, but eBay is probably seen by more people than individual websites - which is why there is a good range of listings by surplus sellers.

You height might limit the options available, but if you were to look for 195-196 on the size label (the corresponding metric size for 6'5") you could be lucky - it's often the above and below average sizes that make it to surplus sales.

Be sure to check you waist and seat (breech) in metric also, as the three measurements are given on the kilt.

It is worth remembering that military kilts are made with a high rise at the waist (often higher than a large portion of civilian kilties like to wear them) and longer at the knee, so you might get a good fit with a height measurement slightly shorter - say 6'3" or 190cm. It is unlikely you will find a pre-1960 kilt made for your height.

An important thing to remember about army kilts, is that they are made to NATO specification, so will withstand the rigours of combat - or that's the idea. So, as hard-wearing action clothing, there is no better kilt. And the current model is made with the military roll pleat (a bit like a box-pleat) which has the edge turned back to meet the edge of the previous pleat so as to make a neat, flat pleated section - comfortable for sitting and driving.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Have a look at the What Price Glory kilts....
    Page 1 - WhatPriceGlory.com
    I bought one of those once, and returned it immediately.

In photos they resemble traditional military kilts but in person don't resemble them in any way.

First, they're crudely made on the Indian Subcontinent.

Second, the fabric doesn't resemble actual UK kilting cloth in the slightest. Even 9 or 10 ounce UK-woven wool has more substance. The fabric has a thin flimsy feel, like those plaid shirts from India. Somehow they've found a way to make thicker fabric equally flimsy.

Oddest of all is the fabric's waxy feel, I can't think of another way to put it into words.

Thing is, in my younger and far slimmer days I owned a couple actual military kilts, and over the years have examined a hundred or so others, so I'm quite familiar with their fabric and construction.

Also several years ago I had House of Edgar make me a military-spec kilt from their MOD weight cloth, which was very close to the vintage military kilts I'd worn.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OCR... everyone is entitled to their option. I have had a WPG kilt for years. I only wear it in Winter because of the warmth.
    After reading your lengthy comments regarding it, I did a search of what others here at the forum think. ....very different opinion.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "An important thing to remember about army kilts, is that they are made to NATO specification, so will withstand the rigours of combat - or that's the idea."

The last time the kilt was worn in Combat was 25th of May 1940 during the retreat to Dunkirk.
    Since, the kilt has been totally ceremonial. Today's MOD kilts are designed and manufactured, not to NATO spec. but to British MOD spec., for parade.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Have a look at the What Price Glory kilts....
    Page 1 - WhatPriceGlory.com
    I contacted them to ask wen they will be back in stock. Unfortunately they are discontinued.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123