X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compartment?

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Stag View Post
    I was looking at designing my own arms and registering them at the American College of Heraldry. I tried to e-mail them the question from my original post but I get a 404 error from their website. I know that they won't register supporters unless it is an organization. They are vague on compartments.
    While I can't speak to their policies regarding supporters or compartments, you'd do better to register your arms with the New England Historical & Genealogical Society's Committee on Heraldry.

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunscot View Post
    While I can't speak to their policies regarding supporters or compartments, you'd do better to register your arms with the New England Historical & Genealogical Society's Committee on Heraldry.

T.
    How do I learn more about this? I read a little bit about them on Wikipedia and there is a link to the Committee on Heraldry but it appears to be broken. Thanks.

Retired Forum Moderator
    Forum Historian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Stag View Post
    How do I learn more about this? I read a little bit about them on Wikipedia and there is a link to the Committee on Heraldry but it appears to be broken. Thanks.
    I just discovered that myself. I know we have at least one member here (Scotus) whose arms are registered with the committee. Perhaps he'll chime in soon.

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm coming into this post rather late! But if you are considering a personal coat of arms you would be wise to contact "The International Association of Amateur Heralds" (Google that address).

Here they will design, advise, and point you in the right direction regarding registration.

Regards .............. Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caveat Armiger

Quote Originally Posted by peterpimlico View Post
    I'm coming into this post rather late! But if you are considering a personal coat of arms you would be wise to contact "The International Association of Amateur Heralds" (Google that address).

Here they will design, advise, and point you in the right direction regarding registration.

Regards .............. Peter
    As with any self anointed group or association the quality of service provided will not always measure up to the standards of a truly professional body.

Those interested in obtaining arms should, in the first instance, contact the appropriate heraldic authority (Chief Herald of Canada, Lord Lyon, etc.) before relying upon the services of self-proclaimed "amateur heralds".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Those interested in obtaining arms should, in the first instance, contact the appropriate heraldic authority (Chief Herald of Canada, Lord Lyon, etc.) before relying upon the services of self-proclaimed "amateur heralds".

Greetings!
    Of course the above is extremely good advice, if one has an Heraldic Authority available to them.

I refer here to anyone, male or female aspiring to become armigerous who does not come within the jurisdiction of the above, ie USA and most East/West European countries etc.

Also if one wishes to adopt arms on an informal basis (assume), the advice I have given regarding "The International Association of Amateur Heralds." is an extremely good starting point. This association has an extremely knowledgeable membership of both amateur and professional heraldists.

I am also aware that many persons would dearly like to bear arms and would if finance was available petition their relevant authority. Sadly this can be a rather expensive exercise; but as I have already mentioned the IAAH provides this service free of charge.

Kind Regards ............... Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those interested in obtaining arms should, in the first instance, contact the appropriate heraldic authority (Chief Herald of Canada, Lord Lyon, etc.) before relying upon the services of self-proclaimed "amateur heralds".

Greetings
    The above is good advice if one has the availability of an Heraldic Authority within one's jurisdiction. I refer here to persons, male or female who live in a country where there is no official Heraldic Authority available, eg. USA and many East/West European countries, etc.

Also if a person wishes to bear arms on an informal basis (assume), then the "International Association of Amateur Heralds" (IAAH), could be of great help to them. Members of this association are extremely knowledgeable, being both amateur and professional.

I am also aware that many persons would wish to petition their Heraldic Authority for the right to bear arms, but due to financial restraints, feel this is beyond their means; petitioning for arms can be very expensive.

The IAAH provides a free heraldic design service and is happy to advise on any heraldic query.

Kind regards ................ Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heraldic Jurisdiction-- myth vs. fact

Quote Originally Posted by peterpimlico View Post

Greetings
    The above is good advice if one has the availability of an Heraldic Authority within one's jurisdiction. I refer here to persons, male or female who live in a country where there is no official Heraldic Authority available, eg. USA and many East/West European countries, etc.
    Anyone may apply to the Bureau of Heraldry in the Republic of South Africa for a substantive grant of arms. So, unless one lives in the British Commonwealth of Nations, the Bureau of Heraldry will grant arms to virtually everyone. The cost is extremely low-- something in the neighborhood of US $500 the last time I checked.

That being the case, there is no need for "fake" arms...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dear! I don't wish to labour the point, but I am trying to give advice to the would be armiger who chooses to take the course of a d.i.y. coat of arms; to guide him or her in the direction of good advice! I feel rather than come up with a non heraldic design the IAAH could assist in this area etc.

There are many who would take you to task regarding your comment: "No need for fake arms." Heraldry is surely a broad 'church' to be enjoyed by all who seek its beauty in art and science. $500 may seem extremely low to us, but many may find this sum spent on a coat of arms prohibitive.

Personally, I agree with your sentiments; my own arms were granted by the College of Arms, Letters Patent in 1977, and I would not choose to bear arms via any other means or authority being a British citizen. But I do accept that others have a different approach for many reasons. Let us guide them in a direction that will assist to that end. I am merely pointing out that the IAAH is prepared to do this free of charge.

Kind Regards ................ Peter

Mike_Oettle is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I may join in at this late stage, Peter has given some sound advice.
    He also mentions that for some, the cost of registration can be prohibitive. This is my case — the fee of R5 080 ($660) is currently out of my reach (at least in my wife’s opinion).
    So although I as a South African ought to register my arms with the Bureau of Heraldry, I have had to postpone that step. However, it is legal in South Africa to assume arms, and I have done that.
    I have been a member of IAAH for some years (and was at one stage on the board), although I am not currently a member. I am active on the forums of the Heraldry Society of Scotland, which is also a knowledgeable group if anyone needs advice.
    This thread started with an inquiry about compartments.
    While there are examples of compartments without supporters, the general rule in heraldry is that if you have supporters, you can use a compartment as well. It can simply be an artist’s fancy, or it can be a specifically described (and illustrated) geographical (or other) feature.
    The Kingdom of Lesotho has a compartment in the shape of the mountain fortress Thaba Bosiu, where King Moshoeshoe I successfully fought off all comers. (According to a legend he spread to discourage attacks, the mountain grows to ten times its size at night.)
    There are many coats of arms that have supporters without a compartment (the gas bracket has been mentioned, but in other cases the supporters stand in mid-air, so to speak).
    But it is not every armiger (possessor of a coat of arms) who may have supporters.
    It has been mentioned that there are strict rules in Britain in this regard. But even on the Continent, it is something reserved for members of the aristocracy.
    In civic arms, the British heralds (the College of Arms in London and Lyon Court in Edinburgh) have a guideline for the use of supporters. Only cities and counties with a certain level of revenue may bear them. Towns, even if they are quite large, generally do not qualify.
    An American may (in the absence of heraldic law in that country) adopt arms with supporters, but unless he is a person of substantial standing it would be highly pretentious of him to do so.
    Knights Grand Cross of certain orders may use supporters.
    Ordinary members ought not to, nor should ordinary citizens not associated with an order.
    Regards,
    Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12