X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread has sewn together a pretty broad range of views - from the love 'em and wear 'em gang, to the hate 'em on principle opposition.

Each to their own, I guess...

But for those who would-but-not-sure in the middle-ground, what about these?

https://www.cheaney.co.uk/pitlochry-...okbinder-p1759

Shoes don't come much better than Cheaney's and with these you get the best of both worlds - the ghillie-style lacing on a full brogue, but with short laces and a conventional tongue.

Surely these bridge the gap, and could easily be worn with trousers if desired, so not solely with-me-kilt shoes.

Yea or nay..?

Cheaney's own RRP is a bit rich at £460, but retailers like House of Bruar has them listed at £395 - so it pays to shop around.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well alright, thats much better, but, they would still not be much use out on the hill though.Too much space for the bits of heather, etc, to find their way in!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    Cheaney's own RRP is a bit rich at £460, but retailers like House of Bruar has them listed at £395 - so it pays to shop around.
    Way too rich for my poor blood. I happened to stumble on these "tongue ghillies" for £85.00 (~113.24 USD). You probably get what you pay for. But paying less and getting less is the best some can afford.

https://www.benwyviskilts.co.uk/stor...gue-p555925286

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Well alright, thats much better, but, they would still not be much use out on the hill though.Too much space for the bits of heather, etc, to find their way in!
    I'm with you there, Jock..!

Real men of action like us, who thrive in the great outdoors, need footwear like this -

https://williamlennon.co.uk/shop/157r-hill-shoes/

I saw a pair being worn at the Lonach games recently, and felt shameful pangs on envy.

As the man said, the only way to get rid of temtation is to yeild to it as the soul grows sick with longing for the things is has been denied.

These hill-shoes may be too much for me to resist, so in the interests of my soul's health and well-being, I think I should send off a cheque to our man Mr Lennon...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by User View Post
    Way too rich for my poor blood. I happened to stumble on these "tongue ghillies" for £85.00 (~113.24 USD). You probably get what you pay for. But paying less and getting less is the best some can afford.

https://www.benwyviskilts.co.uk/stor...gue-p555925286
    I always measure these things in cost-per-wear units - by the time you've worn them 100 times, the cost is down to less than £1 at time. And who knows how long 'affordable' shoes like this would last.

But if they only get worn with the kilt, and so periodically, they could well last many years, so be excellent value in that respect.

The compromise comes with the construction and materials used, and the Cheaney version would last decades withoout doubt.

Back in the 1980s, I happened to be based in Northampton, the centre for 'bench grade' shoes. I would frequently call in at the likes of Trickers, Crocket & Jones, Alfred Sargent etc, and come away with sample styles or end-of-lines at less than £30 a pair.

Some pairs have been worn to the third re-soling and are still going strong, so my money would be on the Cheaneys in this case.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with you there, Jock..!

Real men of action like us, who thrive in the great outdoors, need footwear like this -

https://williamlennon.co.uk/shop/157r-hill-shoes/

I saw a pair being worn at the Lonach games recently, and felt shameful pangs on envy.

As the man said, the only way to get rid of temtation is to yeild to it as the soul grows sick with longing for the things is has been denied.

These hill-shoes may be too much for me to resist, so in the interests of my soul's health and well-being, I think I should send off a cheque to our man Mr Lennon...
    I think that you should.

I have worn a pair.........the same pair........ of "hill shoes" quite happily in some pretty rugged conditions for more years than I can remember. You are so right to not to judge the value of goods just by the price on the day and your cost per wear point, is a much better way to calculate these things. I have no doubts that my "hill shoes" will last a lot longer than I will!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 23rd September 24 at 03:23 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I think that you should.
    Oh no, Jock, no..!

Now look what's happened! I've sent off an order enquiry to Lennons, asking about options and possibilities.

So when the shoes arrive and my good lady wife has me pinned against the wall with a glinting carving knife at my throat, demanding to to know what I thought I was upto, do you think 'But darling, Jock made me do it...' will let me off the hook?

Well, only one way to find out...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no, Jock, no..!

Now look what's happened! I've sent off an order enquiry to Lennons, asking about options and possibilities.

So when the shoes arrive and my good lady wife has me pinned against the wall with a glinting carving knife at my throat, demanding to to know what I thought I was upto, do you think 'But darling, Jock made me do it...' will let me off the hook?

Well, only one way to find out...
    Oh that's just dandy! Blame poor old "Jock"! I suppose I could exit the county/country for a few years and miss the shooting/fishing seasons for decade or six? Or, change my name, address, phone numbers, email addresses? Or ? Or ? No! Don't answer that!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But for those who would-but-not-sure in the middle-ground, what about these?

https://www.cheaney.co.uk/pitlochry-...okbinder-p1759

...with these you get the best of both worlds...
    Not a fan.

They remind me of these things we see driving around here in California all the time, a hybrid that combines the disadvantages of two different kinds of vehicles...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7H0QaI8lgY
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415