X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COScotsman View Post
    I did have a kilt pin work its way loose and fall out at a highland festival once. Lots of running between tents and events distributing updates to participants. Never did find it but the company in Scotland did send me another one. I usually add a bit of tape to the clasp to make sure it doesn't accidentally open.
    Stories like that make me nervous. I get attached to things. My favorite hat went missing for 2 weeks, and I didn't even want it replaced; I wanted the old one back. When I found it, I was surprised how much better I felt.

If I don't go with magnets (which also might result in lost pins), I'll probably use hot glue or moldable thermoplastic beads to secure the clasp closed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use these pin locks - they are only a couple of mm and weigh nothing - you can get them from Amazon

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    I use these pin locks - they are only a couple of mm and weigh nothing - you can get them from Amazon
    I was having a hard time picturing how that would work, but I think I just had an "aha" moment. Those don't stop the pin from unlocking. They stop the pin from coming out of the kilt if the pin does unlock. Correct? Or do you modify your pin to fasten like an earring with that as the back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by User View Post
    I've read several people mention placing their kilt pins within hands reach, so they can verify it hasn't fallen off. I don't have a kilt pin yet, so maybe it's obvious, but how are kilt pins falling off? Most of the ones I've seen enter the fabric from the top, and fasten at the bottom. It seems that even if the fastener twisted and unlocked itself, the kilt pin should still hold itself in place using its own weight. Is that not the case?

If this is a common issue, how many kilt pins have you personally lost?
    Like books, by lending them.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years back, my kilt pin mysteriously vanished while I was out for the afternoon in Edinburgh. Don't know how I lost it. It probably lies somewhere in Edinburgh zoo. Since then, I've used the "elastic band" trick mentioned by Troglodyte - so far, it has worked!

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kiltedjohn For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PiperPadre View Post
    Like books, by lending them.....
    That reminds me, can I borrow a kilt pin from you?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiltedjohn View Post
    A few years back, my kilt pin mysteriously vanished while I was out for the afternoon in Edinburgh. Don't know how I lost it. It probably lies somewhere in Edinburgh zoo. Since then, I've used the "elastic band" trick mentioned by Troglodyte - so far, it has worked!
    Alright, I'm convinced. I don't quite understand how kilt pins are disappearing, but it's obviously an issue. I'll have to visit the zoo, maybe I'll get a lucky find!

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to User For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never lost a kilt pin in quite a long life, but my father did whilst out grouse shooting some 60/70 years ago, only to be found when a grouse butt was being repaired some sixty years later. The catch had broken. I wear it ocasionally, but I prefer to wear my Grandfather's silver "blanket pin " and have never had any problems with it, although the piece of rubber band is in place, just in case.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an antique pin that I would really hate to lose.
    The clasp on the back does not lock

So a rubber band through the clasp prevents any trouble.

Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goodness that's a pretty one!
    Apparently I wasn't too far off in thinking that the weight of the kilt pin should hold it in place. The maker of that pin is relying entirely on that to keep it secure. But with multiple simple solutions to secure kilt pins, along with stories of lost pins, it seems silly to leave it to chance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by User View Post
    I was having a hard time picturing how that would work, but I think I just had an "aha" moment. Those don't stop the pin from unlocking. They stop the pin from coming out of the kilt if the pin does unlock. Correct? Or do you modify your pin to fasten like an earring with that as the back?
    Correct - they slip over the pin and are fixed with an allen nut - I actually got these to replace the pin cams on some pin badges - we "stole" a mate's flat cap for a joke, it then travelled the world with various members of our rugby club but some of the pin badges got lost so I used these to secure them - I then thought they would also be OK to use with my kilt pins as well, just in case.

Stevie's Jet Set Hat:
    Last edited by Tomo; 5th September 24 at 11:40 PM.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast