X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

So, I had a brainwave thus evening when the gemini bubble popped up when I said "OK google" to ask it a question.... It isn't just for asking vocal/textual questions.... you can throw up audio, visual etc.

Anyway, the android one it seems for can add just one image (plus text, etc) and I used the large one before the big shadow but not the last one as I think maybe it got too close:

I might try the same technique using one or t'other of the image, but here's what google/gemini thought of this image:
    20240912_153053.jpg
    Analyzing the Inscription
    Based on the image, the inscription appears to be handwritten.
    Possible Interpretation:
    While the handwriting is somewhat difficult to decipher, here's a possible interpretation:
    * "THE MACGREGOR AV" - This could be a reference to the MacGregor clan, a Scottish Highland clan. "AV" might be an abbreviation for "Association" or "Avenue".
    * "43/2542" - This is likely a numerical identifier or serial number.
    Possible Context:
    Given the military context of the kilt, this inscription might have been:
    * A personal marking: The wearer might have used this to identify their kilt or possibly indicate their affiliation with a specific unit or group.
    * A unit identifier: The number might have been assigned by the military to track and inventory the kilt.
    Further Research:
    To gain more clarity, you might consider:
    * Consulting a military historian or collector: They might be able to provide insights based on similar markings on historical military equipment.
    * Researching MacGregor clan history: Understanding the clan's history and any associated organizations could offer clues about the meaning of "AV".
    * Checking historical military records: If you have information about the kilt's owner or unit, searching historical records might reveal more about the inscription.
    Would you like to explore any of these avenues further?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I was playing around with my smartphone, doing a couple upgrades and discovered this "gemini" feature when asking google!

So I went ahead and used

Attachment 43826

as Gemini source image, and as gemini suggested, gave it some context (based on whaf we already knew and also new information gleaned from this thread already.) Oh boy, it's got me quite excited. I described if as mid century but prior to 1953, etc. And this is what Gemini came back with!:

Analyzing the Inscription
    Based on the image, the inscription appears to be handwritten.
    Possible Interpretation:
    While the handwriting is somewhat difficult to decipher, here's a possible interpretation:
    * "THE MACGREGOR AV" - This could be a reference to the MacGregor clan, a Scottish Highland clan. "AV" might be an abbreviation for "Association" or "Avenue".
    * "43/2542" - This is likely a numerical identifier or serial number.
    Possible Context:
    Given the military context of the kilt, this inscription might have been:
    * A personal marking: The wearer might have used this to identify their kilt or possibly indicate their affiliation with a specific unit or group.
    * A unit identifier: The number might have been assigned by the military to track and inventory the kilt.
    Further Research:
    To gain more clarity, you might consider:
    * Consulting a military historian or collector: They might be able to provide insights based on similar markings on historical military equipment.
    * Researching MacGregor clan history: Understanding the clan's history and any associated organizations could offer clues about the meaning of "AV".
    * Checking historical military records: If you have information about the kilt's owner or unit, searching historical records might reveal more about the inscription.
    Would you like to explore any of these avenues further?
    Wow! Certainly it's AI and it's guessing, but based on thousands upon thousands of images before it. I doubt the is Ave. or ***. But rather this persons initials. The number is probably his military ID - I was not aware they had slashes in them, though. Or am I wrong? Could the slash be a misinterpreted number, or maybe unit/or something. We know the regiment was The Black Watch No. 1. - but could some number refer to battalion etc. And I apologise for my ignorance here.

Also, I don't think he's written "The MacGregor" but "Tam MacGregor" as that's the common Scottish spelling of "Tom" short for Thomas (incidentally my family name on the welsh side!)

Ideas please, if any, now I've gotten more info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12