X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I am afraid I must differ, to my rather conservative mind, the patterned hose and fancy day sporrans are overdoing things a tad. Fine for some day events, but for me they are rather unnecessary, particularly for general day attire, these days.
    Jock here's the more down-dressed style of some of us West Coast USAians at one of our rather warmer Highland Games, where protecting your head from the sun isn't optional (unless you desire skin cancer) and jackets just ain't happening.

Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Jock here's the more down-dressed style of some of us West Coast USAians at one of our rather warmer Highland Games, where protecting your head from the sun isn't optional (unless you desire skin cancer) and jackets just ain't happening.

If the devil could cast his net, he would have a vintage catch, with that bunch of mischief makers!

I fully understand the need for protection from the sun, but perhaps a more Scottish and traditional option would be a deer stalker , or a fore and aft, or even a panama
    would be a more appropriate option, in the circumstances?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 29th September 24 at 11:46 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    Could this have been one of those day events they would have been fine for..?

The wondrous sporran being sported by the gent on the right looks like a museum piece, and the badger-mask is something of a classic, too.

Are they necessary as in vital for the success of the event? Who can really say, but a Highland Games is one of the occasions when a man can indulge in a bit of show, rather than dressing down.

Personally, I like to see a man making the effort, and would much rather see this kind of thing on a daily basis, than the ubiquitous denim jeans and hideous hoodie.
    I missed this post yesterday, sorry. Its a fair question and deserves an answer.

For the general public at a highland games, in my humble opinion, the attire shown is over-doing it. Smart for sure, but.......
    However, if the gentlemen were manning an exhibition, for example, then I think the attire is entirely suitable for what they are doing.

Likewise, if one of those gentlemen were in the Games Chief's party of guests, then the upping one's attire a notch to compliment one's place in that particular party is perfectly acceptable in my view.

To be clear, for the general visitor to a Highland Games, or, country show type of thing, then they can dress smartly without going to the excess demonstrated in your picture. Perhaps the picture was taken out of context?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fully understand the need for protection from the sun, but perhaps a more Scottish and traditional option would be a deerstalker, or a fore and aft, or even a Panama would be a more appropriate option...
    As long as it has a brim all around. Scottish tweed options would be things along these lines:

(Because your ears are as susceptible to sunburn as your face or the back of your neck.)

Here it's not just the sun, but sometimes the heat. That's why hats were developed with mesh around the brim, which allows air to circulate and even breezes to blow through. Ditto with straw hats if the straw has an open weave that allows air through.

Interesting that a Panama would be considered "a more Scottish and traditional option" with Highland Dress.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 30th September 24 at 08:18 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of the top four tweed hats on show, I would only call the top right (fore and aft) a truly Scottish Highland hat, although they are truly universal throughout the UK these days amongst the shooting and fishing country set brigade. I have no idea of the pedigree of the other tweed hats on show and I will be interested to hear other's thoughts on the matter, but I cannot remember anyone wearing them here when wearing the kilt.

As to the panama? In my experience, the panama has been worn with the kilt, in the right conditions, for all of my long life by some and without question. I would recommend them to all in the right conditions.

Just for clarification, ........... although unhelpfully, some Scottish shops reverse this!.............The "fore and aft" is as shown in OCR's post and the "deer stalker"(Sherlock Holmes style) and not shown,has the ear flaps. Both, as far as I am aware , have a Scottish pedigree.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 30th September 24 at 08:58 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I missed this post yesterday, sorry. Its a fair question and deserves an answer.

For the general public at a highland games, in my humble opinion, the attire shown is over-doing it. Smart for sure, but.......
    However, if the gentlemen were manning an exhibition, for example, then I think the attire is entirely suitable for what they are doing.

Likewise, if one of those gentlemen were in the Games Chief's party of guests, then the upping one's attire a notch to compliment one's place in that particular party is perfectly acceptable in my view.

To be clear, for the general visitor to a Highland Games, or, country show type of thing, then they can dress smartly without going to the excess demonstrated in your picture. Perhaps the picture was taken out of context?
    Jock,

As one of the offending individuals, I feel the need to explain myself. There is absolutely a time and place for everything. A couple of weeks apart, this was my dress for the Lonach and Braemar Gatherings respectively. In the case of the latter, I had a seat in the enclosure beside the Royal Box and was in and around the area for much of the day. Knowing a certain person's interest in traditional crafts and workmanship, I took the opportunity to, and make no apology for, showcasing four outstanding organisations.

Shilling & Fitz - Jacket

Margaret Morrison - Sporran

Cathy Hope (Braw Kilts) - Kilt

Glenesk Museum (Folk to Sock project - Hose.

Lonach & Braemar 2024.jpg

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Jock,

As one of the offending individuals, I feel the need to explain myself. There is absolutely a time and place for everything. A couple of weeks apart, this was my dress for the Lonach and Braemar Gatherings respectively. In the case of the latter, I had a seat in the enclosure beside the Royal Box and was in and around the area for much of the day. Knowing a certain person's interest in traditional crafts and workmanship, I took the opportunity to, and make no apology for, showcasing four outstanding organisations.

Shilling & Fitz - Jacket

Margaret Morrison - Sporran

Cathy Hope (Braw Kilts) - Kilt

Glenesk Museum (Folk to Sock project - Hose.

Lonach & Braemar 2024.jpg
    I thought I recognised the "cut of your jib" Peter!

You don't have to justify your attire choices to anyone, least of all me! Although, I suspected there was a reason for your choices!

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    As long as it has a brim all around. Scottish tweed options would be things along these lines:

(Because your ears are as susceptible to sunburn as your face or the back of your neck.)

Here it's not just the sun, but sometimes the heat. That's why hats were developed with mesh around the brim, which allows air to circulate and even breezes to blow through. Ditto with straw hats if the straw has an open weave that allows air through.

Interesting that a Panama would be considered "a more Scottish and traditional option" with Highland Dress.
    At some point practicality has to trump style, given the extremes on this continent. I get overheated thinking about wearing a wool hat under a So California sun. My Marine boot camp days there were accompanied by 2nd degree burns on my ears decades ago.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PiperPadre View Post
    At some point practicality has to trump style, given the extremes on this continent. I get overheated thinking about wearing a wool hat under a So California sun. My Marine boot camp days there were accompanied by 2nd degree burns on my ears decades ago.
    Then a panama is your option.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    . . . clip . . .

As to the panama? In my experience, the panama has been worn with the kilt, in the right conditions, for all of my long life by some and without question. I would recommend them to all in the right conditions.
    . . . clip . . .
    Meanwhile, on the Eastcoast USA in the Old Dominion, my southern expression of adopted Highland Dress does include the Panama style wide-brim straw hat and seersucker jacket tailored to kilt wearing.

20240831_093347.jpg

15. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Mael Coluim For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast