X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Oops sorry you said Ancient and I read Weathered, guess I haven't had enough sherry yet!

Pay attention Grizzly you doddery old buffoon!
    I hope it was a fino - next to a fine Islay malt, a fino Sherry is probably my favourite tipple.

I would encourage the OP to have a look at the weathered MacKenzie - it is a beautiful lookng tartan.

Bill
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is one nice looking tartan. I love the weathered look. My weathered Mackintosh is probably my favourite and most worn kilt.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to piperdown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piperdown View Post
    That is one nice looking tartan. I love the weathered look. My weathered Mackintosh is probably my favourite and most worn kilt.
    And my red-based Macpherson tartan in the reproduction colours is my absolute favourite and most worn kilt as well!

However, I merely suggested to the OP to check out the Mackenzie tartan in weathered/reproduction colours, since it is such a gorgeous sett and colour scheme. The OP has quite obviously stated that he is rather keen on the Mackenzie tartan in the 'ancient' hue. With that being said, I think the OP should also check out the Mackenzie tartan in Wilson's of Bannockburn colours, perhaps he will find that a smart looking colour scheme as well!

Kenneth & Thomas Mackenzie at Loch Duich, West coast of Rosshire, with Eilean Donan Castle and Tulloch Ard.
    -Watercolour portrait painted by Kenneth MacLeay, RSA
    Last edited by creagdhubh; 17th January 14 at 02:59 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 416 Rigby View Post
    This one is interesting as well. It's the MacKenzie 78th Highlanders from the 1820's evidently.
    Attachment 16376

Cool stuff.
    Not quite. That looks like MacKenzie from House of Edgar's 'Muted Range'. The 78th of the late 1800 and early 1900s wore Wilsons of Bannockburn's cloth. Wilsons' shades were similar to HOE's but their blue was a truer mid-indigo. Here's an example c1810.

78th - 1810.jpg

7. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised no one has suggested this yet, but get both! Or even all 3!
    Ian
    "Stand Sure"

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to IGA For This Useful Post:

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I did a video on the differences between the color variations if it helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjiHj6Tsd50

As has been discussed before on the forum, the color palette of the tartan doesn't affect how formal or informal it is. The accessories (what jacket, what sporran, etc) dress a kilt up or down.
    Last edited by RockyR; 18th January 14 at 11:29 AM.

11. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to RockyR For This Useful Post:

guardsman is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well McKenzie tartan is military , so easily obtainable in wool , pv or whatever , so get the weathered as best in a tank , my opinion only , cheers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'm no expert, I just said it was 78th Highlanders because this was the description of the tartan in the photo from the Clan MacKenzie Society of the UK:
    "Authenticated by world renouned tartan & weaving authority, James Scarlett, a fresh Mackenzie tartan has been discovered, reminiscent of the current “Ancient” colouring but with subtle differences. The material has been woven to match the original piece dated from the 1820s. The white stripe originally thought to have been of silk is woven with partly a cashmere interface."
    Whatever the origin, it sure is handsome.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kyle, would you believe I have that very watercolor on the cover of my bagpiping binder? Manly men, kilts and double fowlers.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rigby I always like to look at swatches of the actual fabric. Not only can you choose between modern, ancient, weathered/reproduction, and muted, these colours vary from mill to mill and might vary a bit from the same mill in different weights (13oz v 16oz).

As you can see MacKenzie looks great in all colour schemes! So there's no 'bad' choice.

I love to have a nice big swatch in hand that I can see in various lighting conditions, or see up against my jackets, and so forth, which sounds kinda crazy but a new kilt is a major purchase and I don't enter into it lightly.

Perhaps there's a kiltmaker or highland outfitter or import shop up your way that has the swatch books from a number of mills that you can peruse. It would be worth a fair drive to have the opportunity to see the various colours in the flesh. Maybe at a local Highland Games?

The Tartan Thistle on Whidbey Island is the only people up there I know about offhand. Maureen is great and I'm sure will be very helpful.

I for one love reproduction/weathered kilts and House Of Edgar muted kilts. They stand out somehow.

Here's an image of HOE muted MacKenzie from tartanstore.net

In HOE Muted the blue is a lovely cobalt or French blue, the green somewhat olive, and scarlet becomes claret.

Good luck! Richard

PS I guess it's a military/historical thing but I always like old army tartans like MacKenzie when they're pleated to the stripe, in this case the white stripe.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 20th January 14 at 06:19 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast