X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David , this sporran isn't the color you are wanting but perhaps it may help give you an idea when selecting the length of your hair sporran .

This is my Iclelandic sheep hair sporran ( similar looking to goat hair , obviously I'm in the middle ) and it is 15 " long from the top of the cantle to the bottom of the hair's longest point .

Just thouhgt this pic and dimension might help give you a visual aide on length decisions .

Cheers , Mike

Last edited by MacGumerait; 13th December 14 at 02:27 AM.
    Mike Montgomery
    Clan Montgomery Society , International

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacGumerait For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an Edwardian style goathair sporran on the left (yours truly) and a horsehair sporran on the right (a piper of The Black Watch)

I love that goathair sporran because it's very roomy. The body/bag/pocket is rather larger than ordinary modern Day and Evening sporrans.

Here it is

And a not dissimilar one back in the day

Here are some young men at an Oban ball; note the variety of sporrans: 20th century small sealskin style, and 19th century long hair style

And hair sporrans with tweed! Say it ain't so!

It just ain't right... shouldn't do it nowadays... or maybe I will...

So you say you'd like dark hair. Josh at Skye Highland Outfitters made this one, quite lovely

With the creation of The Royal Regiment Of Scotland, suddenly hundreds of the sporrans which were formerly worn in the Army became available. This style, worn by Other Ranks in The Queens Own Highlanders/The Highlanders, has a black hair body. These MOD OR sporrans have a roomy body, are extremely well-made, are widely available, and often quite inexpensive. The hair is shorter than on typical horsehair sporrans, only being around 15 inches long rather than 18. Oftentimes they come up for sale missing the cantle, and you could put on pretty much any cantle you choose. You could remove the tassels, though oftentimes they come up for sale missing them anyhow. Here it is

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-Sco...item2598c0bd71

Also having a black hair body, and in fact being the same sporran except for the badge on the cantle, and the number of tassels, is the ORs' sporran of The Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders worn c1980 up until the formation of the RRS. Here it is. These are also widely and cheaply available.

About the length of hair sporrans, as you see it's common for the hair of a hair sporran to go well below the bottom of the kilt, particularly noteworthy in the Army where dressing smartly is the norm.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 13th December 14 at 05:05 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two goat hair sporrans, both are about 15-16 inches long. The one on the left has a sterling silver cantle while the other is pewter.
    image.jpg

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacCathmhaoil For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooh now that looks just the ticket OC Richard,that one from Josh at Skye is pretty much what I would like to get. Thanks for all the great tips and Ideas.
    Slainte David

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I going to try dyeing some of my white angora goat tomorrow brown. If it comes out good I'll post photos of it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my short-length goat-hair sporran:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Orionson View Post
    This was commissioned for my Daughter's Wedding in Edinburgh last year. It is Nickle Silver on Bronze in the the Style of the Glasgow School of Art and inspired by the Arts Nouveau works of Otto Heintz.Attachment 23500
    This will look fabulous with your new kilt, John.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Stitchwiz For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Here's the goat hair piece that I dyed yesterday. After drying I found some uneven areas so I'll need to redo. Notice how different it looks after dyeing. The hair went to ringlets and hung much better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Here's an Edwardian style goathair sporran on the left (yours truly) and a horsehair sporran on the right (a piper of The Black Watch)

I love that goathair sporran because it's very roomy. The body/bag/pocket is rather larger than ordinary modern Day and Evening sporrans.

Here it is

And a not dissimilar one back in the day

Here are some young men at an Oban ball; note the variety of sporrans: 20th century small sealskin style, and 19th century long hair style

And hair sporrans with tweed! Say it ain't so!

It just ain't right... shouldn't do it nowadays... or maybe I will...

So you say you'd like dark hair. Josh at Skye Highland Outfitters made this one, quite lovely

With the creation of The Royal Regiment Of Scotland, suddenly hundreds of the sporrans which were formerly worn in the Army became available. This style, worn by Other Ranks in The Queens Own Highlanders/The Highlanders, has a black hair body. These MOD OR sporrans have a roomy body, are extremely well-made, are widely available, and often quite inexpensive. The hair is shorter than on typical horsehair sporrans, only being around 15 inches long rather than 18. Oftentimes they come up for sale missing the cantle, and you could put on pretty much any cantle you choose. You could remove the tassels, though oftentimes they come up for sale missing them anyhow. Here it is

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-Sco...item2598c0bd71

Also having a black hair body, and in fact being the same sporran except for the badge on the cantle, and the number of tassels, is the ORs' sporran of The Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders worn c1980 up until the formation of the RRS. Here it is. These are also widely and cheaply available.

About the length of hair sporrans, as you see it's common for the hair of a hair sporran to go well below the bottom of the kilt, particularly noteworthy in the Army where dressing smartly is the norm.

Very nice, I am a fan of hair sporrans regardless of what others think is right or wrong. At the end of the day it is the wearers choice and should be respected as such.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12