X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pirate Kilts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure that somewhere along the line, a highlander or two probably took to piracy. Whether or not they wore a kilt is anyone's guess. Based on the time frame of the classical pirate age (late 16th to early 18th century), it would have been the time of the great kilt in Scotland. I can almost guarantee they would not have worn that garment though, at least not often. The areas of the greatest piracy tended to be pretty warm (for example, the Caribbean). Not to mention all the cloth that could get caught in rigging, etc.

My guess is IF they wore a kilt at all, it was the phillabeg, or in other words, the bottom half of the great kilt.
    We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. - Japanese Proverb

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A number of Scottish pirates from the "Golden Age of Piracy" (1695-1725) are documented, including one Captain Gow, alias Smith. Since 90%+ of pirates were ex-merchant or naval seamen, the wearing of kilts was unlikely. Seamen had their own distinctive garb in that period, and stuck to it for practical reasons: shipboard work!
    Brian

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Clinton, South Carolina (USA)-> Atlanta native
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsheal
    A number of Scottish pirates from the "Golden Age of Piracy" (1695-1725) are documented, including one Captain Gow, alias Smith. Since 90%+ of pirates were ex-merchant or naval seamen, the wearing of kilts was unlikely. Seamen had their own distinctive garb in that period, and stuck to it for practical reasons: shipboard work!
    THAT is PRECISELY why it struck me odd when I first read it!!!

The reference was NOT to highlanders, but regular sailors. The canvas "apron" (over knee britches) is MUCH more likely.

P1M!!!!!!!!

I KNEW that was coming into this thread sooner or later.

You COULD NOT resist.
    Why?
    Resistance is FUTILE!!!!

You MUST join us

The Kilted Pirates!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been awhile since I have watched it, but, on disc 2 of the Pirates of the Carribean, under the option of Below Deck, there is an interpretive history of pirates. I think it has some info on the clothing that pirates wore in that time. But don't quote me. I'll watch it again to see, just incase.
    Aaaargh! Avast, ya scurvy dogs!

Clinton, South Carolina (USA)-> Atlanta native
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a cheap book, "Pirates and Patriots of the Revolution: An Encyclopedia of Colonial Seamanship" by C. Keith Wilbur, M. D. is pretty good. It is part of Illustrated Living History Series, all by Wilbur, and published by The Globe Pequot Press of Old Saybrook, CT. The cover price is $14.95, but I bought it for less. It is about the privateers fighting for the patriots and mixes drawn pics based on primary source material-> relics (given after the title page, as a pre-text bibliography). The text is in a hand writen style. It is a good "quick reference book, and ideal for "armchair historians" and model makers (the minitures kind-> and I don't mean midgets or pygmies). It touches a topic which few other public books discusses. It offers decent details of sailor garb/kit, but is much better on ship construction, operation, and the details of life aboard a privateering voyage. It is better than most "cheap" books largely because it focuses on a VERY brief period, while being of a decent length and detail.

I'm sure those interested in 17th/18th century naval history would be glad to enlighten us all on better books on this topic (ships used by pirates and privateers and the life aboard them).

Kilted Pirate,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just finished watching the Below Deck section of the Pirates of the Carribean movie, disc 2. No mention of clothing other than eye patches. I was mistaken. But, did find out that John Paul Jones was a "privateer" in the American Revolution, and had become known as a pirate to the British for him being a menace to the British Navy and causing the surrender of a British warship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Captain John Gow was a Scottish pirate that employed the bagpipes. I'm sureyou could find a kilt among his men...

Piper leading Gow's men back to the ship.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grizzly visions of kilted pirates aloft in the rigging....arrrrrgh.....

Ron
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's well kent that John Paul Jones wuz a pirate afore helpin found the US Navy...

of course he wuz a la'llan'er sae he probably didnae wear a kilt...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TechBear
    There is a tradition in Seattle, going all the way back to the mid 50's, of a summer festival called SeaFair. One of the customs for SeaFair is the SeaFair Pirates. And yes, I have seen several of the pirates in kilts (and usually wishing I hadn't.)

Therefore, it must be true that pirates wore kilts. Certainly the Seattle business and tourist industry wouldn't lie like that. :rolleyes:
    They come and join in the Hyack parade in BC every May. This year two of the "pirates" wer ein UKs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast