X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
    Without getting too Mickey and Judy on y'all, it can happen if people will do a piece. IIRC, the needed parts are somewhat:
    Meet and greet ...................................... Immortal Memory
    Selkirk Grace ........................................ Toast to the Lassies
    Haggis - Entrance w/ pipes .................... Lassies Response
    .......... - Address ................................... Songs and Readings

Deil the Yin, Creag, Wareyin, Catharps, any takers? Past participants welcome to repeat. Jim has contacts not on XMarks.
    Lamar's friend Charlie is a musician, so maybe... Seems like we've had a couple of songs before, my memory is fuzzy -
    giddy from surviving the Address and the accompanying barrage of foodstuffs and silverware.
    I'm in the same boat as Wareyin- I have never attended a 'proper' Burns Supper. I can, and will, do a little research- perhaps my natural strength will be along the lines of the Lassies Response? I'm afraid I have no musical talent.
    I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harms way. - John Paul Jones

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Catharps, and it will be good to meet you.

I can do the Address again, or let someone else have it who would prefer it. I can do Tam O'Shanter as well, if need be. If @Jim feels he can attend, just not coordinate, maybe he'll handle Immortal Memory. If not, he may know someone who will. A former student? A past participant? I wouldn't want this to start looking like the Michael show. We have a couple of past Toast to Lads/Lassies vets, and Catharps is willing. @Deil the Yin, are you joining us this year? Do you want to do anything? @Thomas H may not be in a position to come with little ones; we'd love to see you, Thomas, but understand what comes first. @Creag, will we see you?

It occurs to me someone may have past programs with participants listed, and one of us might provide links to past Supper threads with that info.

Thanks any and all; I'm not attempting to replace Jim, but it would seem appropriate to keep this going to recognize his efforts at
    creating and sustaining this, and maybe he'll be available next year.
    Last edited by tripleblessed; 29th December 15 at 05:50 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you @tripleblessed , you are right Sir , I will not be able to make this wonderful event this year either .
    @Wil and I were just taking about this yesterday , so looking forward to it but as said above time is hard to come by these days LOL.
    I hope you all have a great time.
    thank you again
    Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll recite a poem for the first or second entertainment. I figure everyone will be settled and satisfied after the meal and less likely to throw things at me.

This list, from the BBC, seems to follow what I recall from last year's Burns Supper:

• Meet and Greet as guest arrive
    • Chairman's (host's) welcome
    • The Selkirk Grace
    • Piping in the haggis
    • Address to the haggis
    • Toast to the haggis
    • Piping out the haggis (back to the serving area)
    • The meal
    • The drink - a wee dram
    • The first entertainment - a song or poem
    • The immortal memory - keynote speaker on the life of Robert Burns
    • The second entertainment - a song or poem
    • Toast to the Lassies
    • The Lassie's reply
    • Chairman's (host's) thanks to the assembly
    • Auld Lang Syne
    Last edited by Creag; 29th December 15 at 07:20 AM.
    Craig Jones
    ---
    It’s a lang road that’s no goat a turnin

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Creag For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleblessed View Post
    Thanks, Catharps, and it will be good to meet you.

I can do the Address again, or let someone else have it who would prefer it. I can do Tam O'Shanter as well, if need be. If @Jim feels he can attend, just not coordinate, maybe he'll handle Immortal Memory. If not, he may know someone who will. A former student? A past participant? I wouldn't want this to start looking like the Michael show. We have a couple of past Toast to Lads/Lassies vets, and Catharps is willing. @Deil the Yin, are you joining us this year? Do you want to do anything? @Thomas H may not be in a position to come with little ones; we'd love to see you, Thomas, but understand what comes first. @Creag, will we see you?

It occurs to me someone may have past programs with participants listed, and one of us might provide links to past Supper threads with that info.

Thanks any and all; I'm not attempting to replace Jim, but it would seem appropriate to keep this going to recognize his efforts at
    creating and sustaining this, and maybe he'll be available next year.
    I'm a little confused. Perhaps it is due to not knowing what "the Michael show" is, but are the pieces of Burns Suppers normally done by one or by different people? For instance, does the Host say the Selkirk Grace, Address the Haggis, give the Immortal Memory, along with the Welcome and the thanks at the end? Leaving only the first and second entertainment along with the Toast to the Lassies and the Lassies Reply to be done by others?

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Wareyin For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not good at public speaking. But I am very good at my job (event catering and planning). I have planned events for presidents, vp's, lords and ladies along with movies stars blah blah blah....... Any help you need please let me know. I'm more than willing to put a knot in my kilt and jump in the mud if need be.
    LOCH SLOY!
    Cheers, Wil

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Wil For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wareyin View Post
    I'm a little confused. Perhaps it is due to not knowing what "the Michael show" is
    No need to be concerned about confusion, as we haven't yet met in person and this will be your first Burns night. Generally, many people participate. My given name is Michael, and if I did all the parts, it would start to look like a one-man show; it's about Burns and community, not whether I could pull it off for Jim. I'd love to see it happen for us as a group as it's a nice bunch of good folk, and Jim has worked very hard to create a local venue for this worldwide tradition. It would be a pity for it to fail. I grew up hearing my parents quote Burns and we loved the songs we knew or heard on the radio, so I simply enjoy the sharing of the material with good people. I guess I could do all the parts, I've spent a fair of time in front people over the years as an actor, teacher, and bluegrass jam leader, but it's not about me, or even Jim. Burns has through the years resonated with people around the world for a long time now, and it's good to remind ourselves why. For those who haven't spent time performing, this is good place to start. Like bluegrass jams, participation is the point, for yourself and your own growth and enjoyment. Improvement and comfort grow with repetition, and most are pleasantly surprised to find it's fun. Burns nights and bluegrass jams are frequented by good and
    patient folk who want to see you succeed and have fun, so it's a very supportive environment in which to make the attempt. Please feel free to jump in in any capacity.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Creag, good to hear you want to play. And thanks for putting up a more coherent schedule.
    Last edited by tripleblessed; 29th December 15 at 09:38 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wil View Post
    I'm not good at public speaking. But I am very good at my job (event catering and planning). I have planned events for presidents, vp's, lords and ladies along with movies stars blah blah blah....... Any help you need please let me know. I'm more than willing to put a knot in my kilt and jump in the mud if need be.
    Wil, it'll be good to talk with you. I was part of the hospitality scene in Atlanta from 1969 'til 2002. This project could use a better center point than I would be, if you have the time. We have in the past had printed programs; I don't know if Jim had them done or ran them off on his own computer. They are quite helpful. My strength has always been jumping into the unknown without a clue and making it happen, but my mind does not often run in normal pathways, and I am easily misread which can create unnecessary impasses. A sane person at the center is more useful.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we get organized, get enough momentum, and volunteers for each part - I'll be pleased to design and print programs.

One other thought. How much notice does the Tavern need that we are a go or a no-go?
    Craig Jones
    ---
    It’s a lang road that’s no goat a turnin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast