X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    James MacMillan is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe some more FORCED exposure (that doesn't sound right - you know what I mean) while kilted to your seniors also. Can you deliver something to your boss's house, while kilted. Find out where he frequently goes, and arrange to "bump" into him, while kilted.

Also, alway, but always dress well in the kilt. Never let them get the idea that it is sloppy attire. Better to dress it up for awhile, then to go too casual.

I am so glad, I don't have this problem.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!

Thanks, all. Great ideas, um, for the most part.

The work I do: I'm a sales guy for a high-tech firm; we make optics components for infrared vision and laser systems. We have zero local customers, we have approximately two customers visit every year (with months of notice), and I'm on the road every two months visiting customers or standing in a tradeshow booth. My proposal, when I get to that point, is that I don't wear a kilt in front of customers - period. I think that's a reasonable concession to offer.

One upshot: I'm one of the most outspoken people here, but in a good way. I had a pony tail (trimmed two months ago), I have a pierced ear, and my facial hair changes periodically, I dress reasonably well all the time (nice blue jeans and button down shirts). I sometimes bike to work and people see my in spandex ("the spandex is much worse than the kilt" is what I heard at the Christmas party!). I frequently do impromptu speaches at the company-wide communications meetings, and there's copious courteous ribbing whenever I trapse through the production area. To sum it up: people generally like me, and have learned to expect the unexpected from me; when it happens they shrug it off as "that's just boB."

I don't think I like the idea of intentionally wounding myself, but I like the way you're thinking, Sister. I play ice hockey in the local adult rec-league... and there's plenty of opportunity for "injury" there!!

The employee handbook says nothing about kilts (no surprise) and it says that shorts and skirts must be of appropriate length. There's not really a greivance procedure; we're too small a company to have thought of such things.

I'll talk to our accountant to collect her thoughts...

More updates as the situation warrants, but this is an ongoing thing and progress may be slow.

Tenacity! Perseverence! Pleats!

boB
    ===

boB
    aka ScotFiddler, Playing Traditional Scottish Fiddle Music in Yellowstone Country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may seem crude but I know a number of people who've flushed their car keys while using the restroom. I've also heard of pagers and cell phones getting dropping in there. Seems to me that wouldn't have happened if these folks had been wearing kilts. It's something to shore up your argument anyway. I wish you luck.

Alaskan Kilted Guy is offline Membership Revoked for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck bro! I am lucky enough to wear a kilt whenever I like. Most of the time I choose to wear pants... mostly just because I only have one wearable kilt at the moment, but nobody seems to care a bit when I do go kilted.

I like your strategy of just wearing the kilt at any opportunity, that way people just get used to it,.....hope it goes well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Bozemanbob, I just moved to Belgrade, and dont really know anyone here yet. Do you fly-fish? I don't even have a kilt yet, but I do have one on order from Matthew Newsome. I teach fifth grade and I am not sure how the parents would feel about me waing a kilt. I do have to worry about parents and the school board. Take care, It's good to know there's another kilt wearer in my community.
    Haxtonhouse
    The Fish WhispererŽ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started a new job last March. At my previous POE, it was definitely not welcomed. When I started this one, I inforemd my employer that I wear kilts when I'm not at work, and asked about coming to work kilted. He was a bit shy on the concept at first. Then my dear friend Ern, who I met here at XMarks, told me he'd instituted 'kilted friday' in lieu of 'casual friday' at this office. I suggested this to my boss, and VOILA! Now I wear a kilt to work every Friday.
    Paul X. Danner
    My Email

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck sounds like a good plan, keep us posted on how it goes.

Chef is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BozemanboB View Post
    My proposal, when I get to that point, is that I don't wear a kilt in front of customers - period. I think that's a reasonable concession to offer.
    I definitely think your boss should see you in a kilt away from work. Once that's done then you could ask about the possibility of wearing it to work occasionally. If that is successful then I think your proposal will work with your boss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or, you could do what I did...Just wear it one day.

I work at a very customer oriented retail operation. So, there was some definate potential issues. However, I wore it and not hardly a word was said. No one really cared. Sure, there was the ribbing from the closer co-workers/friends, but I expected that. Actually, I expected more flak than what I was given.

Of course, I get a lot of comments from customers. ALL positive so far. It helps that our best customer absolutly loves the kilt.

So now, I'm up to at least once a week. Sometimes two, and when I'm not at work about 90% of the time.

I say go for it. I understand the trepidation, but they can only ask you to go change, then you'd know more about where you stand. Then you could raise the "But the women can wear skirts" argument.

Kilt up and charge!

T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to Belgrade!

Quote Originally Posted by hxtonhouse View Post
    Hey Bozemanbob, I just moved to Belgrade, and dont really know anyone here yet. Do you fly-fish? I don't even have a kilt yet, but I do have one on order from Matthew Newsome. I teach fifth grade and I am not sure how the parents would feel about me waing a kilt. I do have to worry about parents and the school board. Take care, It's good to know there's another kilt wearer in my community.

Welcome to Belgrade!!

I don't really fly fish. I have most/all of the stuff, but the most I ever accomplish is beating the water into a froth with the tip of my fly rod. I live about 1/4 mile from the Gallatin on Amsterdam Road, so close I can walk to the river in a few minutes. Sometimes I do so I can sit and watch the fish go by...

Have you been to the Spotted Horse Cafe? We hang out there all the time (but they're closing for the holidays as of this Thursday). Perhaps after the holiday madness is ended we can meet there on a Saturday morning. They'll be open again on the 5th.

If you want to get together in the next week or two for a beer or something, send me a PM. I look forward to meeting you.

boB
    ===

boB
    aka ScotFiddler, Playing Traditional Scottish Fiddle Music in Yellowstone Country

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast