X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    INACTIVE

Contributing Tartan Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never put belt loops on any kilt I make unless a customer specifically asks for them (and even then I might try to dissuade them!). Most traditional kilts were made with no belt loops. None of my kilts have them. No problem, no worries. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Side loops?

Last edited by MacMillan of Rathdown; 31st January 11 at 09:19 AM. Reason: already answered

North Idaho at southern end of Selkirk Mountains
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loops?

Most of the references I've read/heard to loops on kilts is for the purpose of keeping the sporran from slipping down, and that having a belt running through the loops is structurally hard on the kilt when bending down. It stresses the stitching / pleats leading to sagging in the rear (which none of need at this age...)

Seattle, WA: N 47° 40' 50.109";W 122° 17' 14.7726"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My tank doesn't have belt loops, but my SWKs do. I haven't "needed" them. I will use them on my SWKs to keep my belt in place, but that's the only real benefit. I also don't put my sporran strap through any loops, as I like to be able to shift my sporran to the side in the restroom or while driving.
    The Barry

"Confutatis maledictis, flammis acribus addictis;
    voca me cum benedictis." -"Dies Irae" (Day of Wrath)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dredrush View Post
    I am a little slow on the uptake sometimes! So, a compromise would be to use the back loop for the belt and the side loops for the sparron strap. Is that what you are saying?
    I was indeed kidding! But I've only noted twin back loops on a kilt, never seen them on the sides [but I'm far from an expert and also I make it a habit of never staring at a fellow kiltie's midsection either, it's too disturbing ], so the confusion is understandable. I've seen it said that loops distort the pattern of the tartan, if there is any pull downwards, but if you need them, use them- otherwise it's optional. I use mine because, after all possible readjustments. my kilt is a bit too large around the middle.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine has no loops; I just strap the belt on very tightly. My measurements are smaller as you move down my body - belly, waist, hips, so if I suck my belly in, the kilt falls off! That being the case, I put the kilt on very tightly and the belt as well.

My belt comes with sporran hangers, and I love the combination. It's a pain trying to buckle up the sporran, but the result is fine. I have asked my kiltmaker to supply me with loops, but am beginning to wonder if I'll sew them on when I do receive them since the current system works so well for me.

I'm a very long way from being an expert, but I suspect that the latter is the real key to the situation: "How well does it work for you? Is it comfortable? Is it staying on and holding together?" Answer those, and you'll probably know what to do.
    Last edited by Father Bill; 8th February 11 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Typo
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you can see that belt loops or not...it is certainly optional. I would not bother to add any loops whether or not you wear a belt. I have a kilt that happens to have belt loops, however I rarely wear a belt. So....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost always wear a belt, to help hold things in place and because I like the look. All of my kilts have loops and I use them. As to belt size, 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 inch is normal. If you are a Gentleman of Substance you may want to try a 3 inch belt but unless you are a truly unique, one of a kind, ultimate Gentleman of Substance, by NO MEANS should you attempt the massive 4 inch monster.
    Gentleman of Substance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've taken two kilt making classes from Elsie Stuehmeyer, co-author of "The Art of Kiltmaking". Elsie doesn't believe in belt loops. Here is what her book says about them.

It's very common today to see kilts made with belt loops in the back and to see kilt belts put through these loops. Traditionally, however men's kilts were made without loops, and the first loops put on kilts in the mid 20th century were, in fact, for a "sporran strap," not a belt.

What happens when a kilt belt is put through loops on the back of the kilt? Bending and sitting cause the belt to pull up on the loops where they are stitchedd to the kilt. Over time, this distorts the nice straight line of the tartan in the pleats at the attachment points of the loops and also pulls the kilt hem up directly below the loops so that it no longer holds a straight bottom line. If you don't believe this, take a surreptitious look at the kilts at Highland games. This is a particular problem with lighter weight kilts and with kilts that are worn a lot. (e.g. band kilts).

Ideally, then, loops should be small enough that a belt can't be put through them and should be reserved for a sporran strap, if the wearer is worried that the sporran may slip down. And you should certainly sew sporran loops on any kilt made for a male dancer.

Some men insist on loops big enough to put their belts through. If an explanation of the consequences doesn't dissuade them, just smile and sew big loops on.

I used to work for the Celtic Craft Centre here in the US and they always recommended that belt loops not be used. They would only add them if the customer insisted.

Ina

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My tartan kilts have belt loops. But I never wear a belt with them.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast