X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Rather than soldering on "tack pins", have you considered a magnet? There have been previous threads and examples of members doing this. Try the search on this site.

Cheers
    Actually, I was going to epoxy them on....hehehe

My idea behind going with tack pins over magnets is that the magnets are more likely to "let go" than pins with the locking fasteners on it, thus a higher chance of the "coin" falling off and getting lost. The advantage that magnets *DO* have, however, is that they don't stress or poke holes in the cloth of the kilt, which is also nice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good quality epoxy should work just fine. However, I'd roughen up the back of the tacks and the points where they will be attached to the pin with some sandpaper or a Dremel. They are usually plated, and glue hates a perfectly smooth surface. Good luck.
    " Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." - Mae West -

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MNlad For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used pins with clasps fastened with J.B. Weld for my renaissance fair bonnet pins. The clasps came from a local Joanne Fabric store.

I'd go with three pins in a triangle pattern to avoid stress on the same vertical line of material. Two probably is enough, four may be too many.

The magnet idea would probably work. However, there are stories you can find hear by searching for kilt pins and magnets regarding wardrobe malfunctions involving large metal objects.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kiltedrennie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiltedrennie View Post
    I've used pins with clasps fastened with J.B. Weld for my renaissance fair bonnet pins. The clasps came from a local Joanne Fabric store.

I'd go with three pins in a triangle pattern to avoid stress on the same vertical line of material. Two probably is enough, four may be too many.

The magnet idea would probably work. However, there are stories you can find hear by searching for kilt pins and magnets regarding wardrobe malfunctions involving large metal objects.
    I was more concerned with it falling off due to magnets letting go, but I can definitely understand the "malfunctions" when coming into contact with metal surfaces too....hehehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will offer my two cents...Be that what they may...Not only am I Scottish Proud, but also a Veteran and a Mason, I don't understand the Masonic Coin idea for a kilt pin? Are you trying to affix a coin to your kilt in place of a Kilt pin? Why not just order the Masonic Kilt Pin and wear, or you can customize a smaller version by possibly affixing it to a small sword with some JB Weld I know my Kilt Pin I wear is a Bronze Star Medal in Miniature that is glued to a Silver Sword. I did however purchase a Past Masters Kilt Pin, it looks like the silver sword with the Masonic Past Masters Emblem on it. Just a thought. But if you use the epoxy JB Weld, use the two type mix and apply...it does work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyPiper View Post
    I will offer my two cents...Be that what they may...Not only am I Scottish Proud, but also a Veteran and a Mason, I don't understand the Masonic Coin idea for a kilt pin? Are you trying to affix a coin to your kilt in place of a Kilt pin? Why not just order the Masonic Kilt Pin and wear, or you can customize a smaller version by possibly affixing it to a small sword with some JB Weld I know my Kilt Pin I wear is a Bronze Star Medal in Miniature that is glued to a Silver Sword. I did however purchase a Past Masters Kilt Pin, it looks like the silver sword with the Masonic Past Masters Emblem on it. Just a thought. But if you use the epoxy JB Weld, use the two type mix and apply...it does work
    Yes, it is a "stand alone" kilt pin, as opposed to be attached to an existing kilt pin.

I have a Masonic (sword) kilt pin. I was interested in doing something "custom" and "out of the ordinary", but that is also Masonically related. Unfortunately, there is no miniature of this coin, which is why I was going for a "replacement" as opposed to an "add on".

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Kalok Sundancer For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kalok Sundancer, I think it is a wonderful idea to construct that type of individual kilt pin. If you do a quick search under "show us your kilt pins" you will find a plethora of homemade pins that have meaning to the individuals concerned. I have made several using two part expoxy to stick on whatever securing device I was using. I say go for it.
    Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. Harry (Breaker) Harbord Morant - Bushveldt Carbineers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalok Sundancer View Post
    Yes, it is a "stand alone" kilt pin, as opposed to be attached to an existing kilt pin.

I have a Masonic (sword) kilt pin. I was interested in doing something "custom" and "out of the ordinary", but that is also Masonically related. Unfortunately, there is no miniature of this coin, which is why I was going for a "replacement" as opposed to an "add on".
    As I am also a Mason, I'd like to weigh in on this as well. I find the "standard" sword kilt pins to be rather boring. The coin is amazing (I'd love to know where it was obtained!) and using it as a kilt pin is a fine idea.

Three pins in a triangle shape, 2 on top, 1 on the bottom, should be perfect. How heavy is the kilt?

Regards,
    -Derek
    "A true adventurer goes forth, aimless and uncalculating, to meet and greet unknown fate." ~ Domino Harvey ~
    ~ We Honor Our Fallen ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Conley View Post
    As I am also a Mason, I'd like to weigh in on this as well. I find the "standard" sword kilt pins to be rather boring. The coin is amazing (I'd love to know where it was obtained!) and using it as a kilt pin is a fine idea.

Three pins in a triangle shape, 2 on top, 1 on the bottom, should be perfect. How heavy is the kilt?

Regards,
    -Derek
    I got it from here Freemasonstore.com (http://www.freemasonstore.com/Masoni...n&inc_subcat=1)

I don't know about the weight of the kilt. I have yet to order it. That will come after the first of the year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had great luck with rare earth magnets, taken from old hard drives.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast