X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    Only two people wear a balmoral with "street clothes"? Wow.
    Just so you know, most civilian men in Scotland choose to go bareheaded and it matters not whether they are wearing the kilt or, wearing Saxon attire.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did, once. I got a lot of derisive "why are you wearing a beret?" comments. People here don't know what a Balmoral is, and without the kilt for context, they see it as an odd or flamboyant choice of headwear. They're very confused, and don't know whether it's a Frenchie thing or some sort of military thing, but the gawking is annoying. The general public is very opinionated about hat choices, apparently.

In cooler weather when I'm not wearing a kilt, I just opt for a tweed flat cap instead. It's more recognisable to the average Joe, and since it's not something I would wear with the kilt anyway, it seems like the thing to do whilst wearing trousers.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but outside of Scotland where a Balmoral isn't a usual choice of headwear, it may explain why folks wouldn't usually opt to wear it with regular trouser-based outfits.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I did, once. I got a lot of derisive "why are you wearing a beret?" comments. People here don't know what a Balmoral is, and without the kilt for context, they see it as an odd or flamboyant choice of headwear. They're very confused, and don't know whether it's a Frenchie thing or some sort of military thing, but the gawking is annoying. The general public is very opinionated about hat choices, apparently.

In cooler weather when I'm not wearing a kilt, I just opt for a tweed flat cap instead. It's more recognisable to the average Joe, and since it's not something I would wear with the kilt anyway, it seems like the thing to do whilst wearing trousers.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but outside of Scotland where a Balmoral isn't a usual choice of headwear, it may explain why folks wouldn't usually opt to wear it with regular trouser-based outfits.
    I generally agree with you, Tobus except where you say "...outside of Scotland." I've worn a balmoral once or twice with Saxon clothing and the only response I've gotten is "What clan are you?" or "It's so nice to see a Balmoral," or "I should wear mine more often."

My general experience is that Canadians in my part of the nation have sufficient Scottish presence, heritage, and pride that it's considered neither unusual nor odd.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never really gave much thought to where I was or what the opinion of the general public might be. I just put on my bonnet and went about my business.

I got my first Balmoral while living in Upstate New York and wore it around that area as well as across the border in Ontario. I also wore it later while in Alaska. I saw others wearing them occasionally in those places as well.
    Last edited by Arnot; 25th July 19 at 06:53 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Arnot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    I generally agree with you, Tobus except where you say "...outside of Scotland." I've worn a balmoral once or twice with Saxon clothing and the only response I've gotten is "What clan are you?" or "It's so nice to see a Balmoral," or "I should wear mine more often."

My general experience is that Canadians in my part of the nation have sufficient Scottish presence, heritage, and pride that it's considered neither unusual nor odd.
    Yes, your mileage obviously varies! In areas where there's more of an established immigrant Scot culture, it may be more normal to see a Balmoral. Everyone has to get a sense of the culture around them and decide for themselves.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i must admit your reply was one of the questions on my mind when i started this post. "What kind of feedback i might expect from the public at large." But i was also thinking of wearing the balmoral as a start to wearing the kilt. Start small and use the balmoral as a pre-introduction to the kilt.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both Tobus and Jacques present good points on a balmoral from the public's opinion. I like my hats and caps, the public is used to seeing me in headgear and a balmoral can make me look good (and I, it) with any Saxon clothing.

I do like my Scottish attire.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Just so you know, most civilian men in Scotland choose to go bareheaded and it matters not whether they are wearing the kilt or, wearing Saxon attire.
    Same for me here in the USA. I will wear a ball cap to a ball game, a wide brimmed hat on a sunny hike or at the beach, but other than that, I am bareheaded most of the time. Love hats, and have quite a few, but just don't wear them!

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to California Highlander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or, only two people who do responded to the thread.

The general public is very opinionated about everything, apparently.
    Fixed that for you.
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Katia For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Balmoral

From age 12 to 46 years i have worn a wedge cap, glengarry, forage cap, beret and other miscellaneous head dress all sporting what i could refer to as my "clan badge".
    Over a decade has passed and i recently discovered my Scottish heritage (adopted, DNA dad was of Scottish ancestry). All of this may be why i find the balmoral so interesting and appealing. As earlier stated, it can also be an introduction to wearing other attire for some one lacking the confidence but having the desire to go "full kilt". Even if it's only worn for special occasions such as Remembrance Day, Tartan Day, Guy Fawkes Night, St Andrews Day, Highland games and Hogmanay (others?). But i will always remain very proud of the name my adopted father gave me and the heritage that comes with it.
    Last edited by Jacques; 29th July 19 at 08:54 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast