X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the other hand if you had been in France over the last couple of weeks you would have seen thousands of kilted Scots...

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, kilts everywhere BUT Scotland. I have seen them in Australia, Thailand, Germany, France, and even Belize.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, We're even a few, here in Denmark. Go figure... ;)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    On the other hand if you had been in France over the last couple of weeks you would have seen thousands of kilted Scots...
    Scotland hasn't done too badly so far in the RWC, Ireland this weekend will be a test though.
    Tha mi uabhasach sgith gach latha.
    “A man should look as if he has bought his clothes (kilt) with intelligence, put them (it) on with care, and then forgotten all about them (it).” Paraphrased from Hardy Amies
    Proud member of the Clans Urquhart and MacKenzie.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a Scotsman living in England, I seem to be an exception to the rule! Whenever I visit Scotland, I'm always kilted. Probably because kilt-wearing seems too conspicuous south of the Scotland/England border.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the hot summers which seem to be becoming the normal weather rather swiftly I see a lot of kilts at English folk festivals where the dancers, particularly those doing border morris seem to have taken a liking to the breeze between the knees aspect and although many do wear black - border morris is traditionally a black morris in contrast to the white kit of Cotswold sides - a fair few now wear tartan beneath their tatter jackets.
    It is so much the normal thing these days that I have stopped taking photos of all those I encounter. I might be able to find some from years past

Anne the Pleater
    Last edited by Pleater; 5th October 23 at 05:39 PM.
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiltedjohn View Post
    ... kilt-wearing seems too conspicuous south of the Scotland/England border.
    I live in Lancashire and I wear a kilt most of the time when out and about. No issues.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Arnot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    I attended two Highland Games and saw a few kilts, but even the Pipe Bands carried their kilts in garment bags, changed before performing, and then changed back into trousers before going home.
    This is very interesting!

Having played in Pipe Bands at numerous US Southwest Highland Games since 1977 I was used to what's jokingly referred to as a "California carpool" (everybody driving to the Games solo).

Since riding for hours in a car is at cross-purposes with performing at a Games with nice pleats, most local Pipe Band people don't put on their kilts until they arrive. A common sight in the car parks at Highland Games is all the Pipe Band people putting on their kilts.

Pipe Band people have a propensity for only putting on part of their kit. Since most detest Ghillies the #1 thing you see is full kit but with trainers or even flip-flops. You'll see full kit but with athletic shorts and every other mix of kit and random clothes. In fact many Pipe Bands have had to institute rules saying that band members must enter the Games in full kit.

So imagine our Pipe Band's surprise to arrive at North Berwick and see 70 coaches arrive, each disgorging a fully dressed Pipe Band!

And so it went at Bridge of Allan and Glasgow Green.

In our US Games each band sets up a camp of sorts with EzeeUps, chairs, folding tables, coolers, etc but at these Scottish Games we didn't see anything like that, the bands using their coaches as their base of operation.

At lunchtime at US Games band people take their food back to their "band tent" but at these Scottish Games band people either took their food onto the coach or stood eating in the rain (the only shelter being the Beer Tent).

So if at a Scottish Games the pipe band people take their garment bags off the coach where would they take them to? Where could they have changed?
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was able to visit Scotland in 2004. Did not expect to see many kilts, and was correct. A few in Edinburgh, not much elsewhere with one exception. We spent a few hours
    in Rosslyn Chapel. We were generously allowed a little time past normal closing as there was a function scheduled for the evening. A bit of a walk to where we had been
    able to park surprised us with the sight of a dozen or more kilted men in small groups on the grounds, and another fifteen or twenty walking from the village, also kilted.
    It happened we were there on the evening a member of the Sinclair family was being the focus of a Masonic ceremony of some kind. A bit of a treat.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

Having just returned from a 2 week trip to Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Skye) I have the following to report about wearing and seeing kilts "in the wild".

Glasgow, no one wore them except pipers (and Scottish Country dancers at a dance). The people who saw me in a kilt were very positive.

Edinburgh, lots of guides, shop keepers on the Royal Mile, etc, wearing them. Two sightings of fellows just walking about in a kilt. No reactions to my wearing a kilt (it seemed old hat).

Skye, no kilts, and a couple of side-eyed glances at the American wearing a kilt. However, I did made a number of Dutch ladies happy by being willing to have my picture taken with them wearing highland dress.

Cheers

Jamie
    Last edited by Panache; 6th October 23 at 02:29 PM.
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

16. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Panache For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast