X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    "All whisky is good, its just that some whiskies are better than others," or so my father used to say. Over a fairly long life I have come to the conclusion he was right! He also was of the opinion that "whisky is a mood drink" in other words the taste alters depending on the occasion and its ambiance. He was right about that too!

For what it is worth, my favourite go to labels are Talisker as a single malt and Famous Grouse as a blend.
    It is claimed that Famous Grouse has been the Number One whisky in Scotland for more than 40 years - which kind of coincides with the rise in popularity and wildly expanding range of malts.

Not a bad record to have!

The sad thing about malts, to me, is that many of the old distilleries have been taken over by foreign owners, with the intentin of giving themselves a ready supply of whisky which they can then transform into soomething they understand.

I would say that Pernod-Ricard are the worst offenders in this crime, openly saying that Scotch is done all wrong, and what their own distilleries are now producing is much more to the taste of ladies in particular (gentle, sweet and floral) and ideal as a mixer.

Such is the fate of Glen Moray, that was once a stablemate of Glenmorangie and Ardbeg.

But we cannot stand in the way of progress, and we must let the likes of Bruichladdich distil their Islay spirits with no trace of the island character if they want to, and palm it off to inner-city hipsters at funny-money prices.

I kick myself now, for I passed-up the opportunity, but back in the early '80s when the bottom fell out of the whisky market with the 'discovery' of Bacardi and Smirnoff, distilleries were flogging off 40gal barrels at £40 a go. You only had to stump-up the tax and find somewhere to store the stuff, and you'd be giggling until you'd drunk the barrel dry.

Single barrel, cask strength? Sure, but that's not to say it was any good - which is why Famous Grouse continues to be No. 1 in its homeland.

I find a cap-full of an Islay added to a fresh bottle, followed by a good shake-up, makes the 'Grouse slip down a real treat. I bet Talisker does the same job just as well.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    —————————————-

I find a cap-full of an Islay added to a fresh bottle, followed by a good shake-up, makes the 'Grouse slip down a real treat. I bet Talisker does the same job just as well.
    I must confess that it has never occurred to me to do that. I will give the Talisker addition to the “Grouse” a try forthwith.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I must confess that it has never occurred to me to do that. I will give the Talisker addition to the “Grouse” a try forthwith.
    George Saintsbury, who I mentioned, recommends getting a barrel of a good single-malt, standing it on its end and tapping it just above the middle. The trick, he says, is to draw off some of the spirit and replace it with the same amount from another barrel from a different distillery.

You carry on doing this until the 'right' mix is achieved - but he fails to say whether you go on doing this for ever, or stop and drink the barrel dry.

Blends have typically anything from 15 to 50 different whiskies in their mix, so our friends over at Famous Grouse are saving us from having to keep a Saintsbury-style barrel at home.

In the corner of the sitting-room, just behind the armchair, is where I would have mine - just so the tap is nice and handy, like, so I could top-up my tumbler with ease and convenience. A man of simples pleasures, me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll add a vote for Dewar's as my go-to blend. Famous Grouse is the same price (very reasonable) according to TotalWine.com. i'll try it very soon !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bad. Tried it neat, then added one cube.

Tulach Ard

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacKenzie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacKenzie View Post
    Not bad. Tried it neat, then added one cube.

And available in a handy pocket-size, I see...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Was going to get the Grouse, but it wasn't available in pocket size.
    Tulach Ard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mekong Whisky.

Now that's one to leave well alone..!

You'll all be glad to know I have done the necessary field trials and tastings, and so have saved you all the trouble.

And what trouble it is, too!

For sale at the temptingly good value of $1 a bottle to foreigners with more money than sense, and available at every stopping point along the river, it is sold in whisky bottles, looks like whisky and is alcohol.

But that's as far as the similarity goes.

A unique blend of distinct spirits all carefully aged and nurtured, before being infused with a secret mix of herbs and spices is what the marketeers might say, but it is just a crude rice-grain alcohol with a bit of colouring and flavouring added.

It's whisky, Jim, but not as we know it..!

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Troglodyte For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And flat enough to not be conspicuous inside a jacket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    And flat enough to not be conspicuous inside a jacket.
    You can go one better than this...

Long, flat and slender flasks are available - size and shape that's ideal to slip down the side of a boot, so that when you get the pat-down your pockets are clear of anything incriminating.

My mother-in-law gave me one of these flasks not long after I married into the fold - what she thought I was capable of, or whether she thought my young bride's ideas on Prohibition were too strict, remained unsaid.

But many a time there has been when I have gone for an invigorating walk before lunch on a Sunday, and returned in excellent spirits - or, rather, with excellent spirits in me.

These flasks tuck neatly into a hose-top when a-kilted, too...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast